Tractor guys, give me your thoughts

I would go for it. That tractor will make short work of 3 acres compared to an ATV. Allot better on the body also. It would be nice to have a loader but you could try and locate one or upgrade in 5 years. That tractor will be worth what you paid for it when you upgrade. I bought my tractor last year and I am glad I'm not using my ATV to do my plotting this year.

I don't see allot of risk at that price and your body will thank you.

I think it's greatly over priced for a 2wd tractor of that size and vintage.

If the hours are low, and it's not just a rustoleum restoration, I'd offer them $3500 "take it or leave it." It's a good amount of horsepower, but it's still really light. It has power steering, so that's a plus.

I'm glad I waited on my tractor purchase. Had I gotten the yanmar I thought I wanted, it wouldn't have been enough machine for what I'm doing.

I'd have to say the price is on the high side. Myself for my property and intended use I needed 4WD & loader. Like Freeborn says you can always up grade in a few years if you get the price down a little.

If your looking for a gem of a tractor at a the best price ever you may be riding your 4wheeler for awhile. If you want to get your work done and the tractor is in good shape then there is value in that.

Personal preference depending on your priorities. I did put in 6 acres of plots for two years on my atv, way to much work and instead of quality work/time; a full out battle to get it done.

If that tractor is as good as it appears....it may well bring a price around $4000 to $4500 or so. Hours? Hard to know your budget....but a loader would be a definite feature of what I would buy. I think I could get along without 4wd if need be. A loader is gonna set you back $2000 or more.....and its far cheaper to find a tractor WITH a loader already mounted.

Looks like a very nice tractor......I'm just not sure I would pop for that much dough.....and not get a loader.

FWIW....those tractors sold "new".... for a lesser number than its now being sold for. That ROPS is not a original equipment. That tractor is about 40 years old. It pays to take care of those little tractors. ;) If your going to own one.....it may as well have all the stuff you need to get the job done. They don't go "down" in value or price.

Last edited:
The loader will get you out of a bind if you have low spots that stay wet or 'new' plot areas that have sticky spots where stumps were removed. 2wd for me means a good chance she's stuck in the mud at some point in time. Looks a little over priced. You can drive one down the road a long ways if you find one further away.

Tractors are like "wimen".......if your gonna have one......might as well get the best. ;)

on tractor data, it says the PTO is "transmission, live optional". I think I have read stories of non-live PTOs "pushing" tractors into objects. I.E you push the clutch in to stop the tractor, but the bush hog(etc.) momentum keeps the transmission spinning and you dont stop. So there may be some safety concerns in the PTO operation.

I will let someone with more experience correct me if got some of the details wrong.

on tractor data, it says the PTO is "transmission, live optional". I think I have read stories of non-live PTOs "pushing" tractors into objects. I.E you push the clutch in to stop the tractor, but the bush hog(etc.) momentum keeps the transmission spinning and you dont stop. So there may be some safety concerns in the PTO operation.

I will let someone with more experience correct me if got some of the details wrong.

I would doubt that a non-live PTO tractor was being produced by Ford - except for some industrial models that don't have a PTO. Still.....it wouldn't hurt to check. Lots of those tractors with gear shift trannys had what is called a Two-stage clutch. Push part-way in on the clutch and the tranny disconnects to stop the tractor.......then push a little further (all the way down on the pedal) and the the tractor stops AND the PTO stops too.

Great operating clutch once you get the hang of it. But....it is an expensive beggar to fix. Splitting a tractor to replace the cluth(es) is an expensive ordeal.....and one most of us cannot do without a qualified tractor mechanic and the right tools by our side. (you need two chain hoists and a few of the right cuss words.....to do it right)