All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towable water tanks

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
Does anyone know of a maker of towable water tanks for watering bulk trees ?? Something that a quad could pull and maybe have a hose / spigot arrangement ?? I've been on-line and checking local sources like Tractor Supply. Can't find what I'm looking for. 25 to 50 gal. would be the ticket. It could be one that sits in a quad trailer or pick-up bed.

I agree, you are overthinking the whole thing. KISS

Something like this would work also. You can find these on Craigslist.
$_12.jpg

I've been trying to locate food grade barrels around my area. I've been calling all kinds of places and evidently those things are scarce as hens teeth locally. That was my first thought as well - barrel & add spigot / hose. If I can just locate a food grade barrel close by. Believe me - I want it simple !!

Bows they sell these for about 50 bucks or less near me. Tons used in gas drilling business up here. I use a 250 gallon tank and my pto on tractor and it waters like a champ

None Stu. I need to get one with a lid that locks down. Ground is very bumpy at camp. We have a plastic barrel that someone cut the top third off and the water sloshes out to the point of being useless. County sells rain barrels for about $80. If I can find one for $5, 10, 20 - that's reasonable. Not $80.

TT - just saw your post. Don't need the cage, but $30 for that tank is just what we need. Thanks !! I'll look them up.:)

I have bought them for 10 bucks a piece on clist a couple times.
No problem finding them in the nw metro area.

Where are u at bows?

Where are you located?

nothing to it! I dont fill her all the way up! OL blue is getting some miles on her;)
image1.JPG

I got this entire setup including trailer for 100 bucks at a garage sale. Works awesome but is a bit much for an atv to pull.

BiglakeBass and NWWI - I'm in S.E. Pa. My camp is in Northern Pa. I'm gonna check into a couple of the C-list contacts. They look like they have what I need. Thanks.

I just got hooked up w/ a guy who has square tanks with cages like TT. had mentioned on C-list link and Jordan S. showed above. Just the ticket. Thanks guys !!

Last edited:
Got horses around you Bnb? Seems everybody who owns a horse around here has 50 gallon blue barrels in the pasture

That's funny because all the horse people in SE MN have those blue barrels in the pasture as well. Any idea exactly what came in the blue barrels or why the horse people have so many of them? I have a couple randomly scattered in my woods from the prior owner of my house. I'm planning on turning one of them into an apple tree watering tub if I can find one without .22 holes in it.

250 gallons of water is 2,000#. Rated towing capacity aside, that's going to be hard on an atv.

Sloshing will change the weight distribution rapidly and could be dangerous depending on the terrain.

If you fill it to the top with tightly packed wiffle balls it will eliminate much of the sloshing and doesn't take up that much volume. Firefighters that drive the tanker trucks might know what I'm talking about.

We won't need 250 gal. at a time. 75 to 100 gal. max / trip around the fields. We won't tax the safety element for people or equipment. We have a pond to fill from - so no big deal making 2 trips if needed. We drive real slow around our ground when hauling or towing anything. The sloshing worry was about losing the water, thus the need for a lid on a barrel (s), or an enclosed tank. I think we're going with the square tank like Jordan posted a pic of. Same rig is available here. Stable in bed of pick-up or on trailer. Thanks for all the input guys !!;)

Bows, I have the water tote and it works great for just the task you're targeting.

But, it's a heavy and awkward beast for one man to handle even when empty. If you'll always have help, then great. If not, I'd still go with the tote but plan on storing in such a way that you can use a hoist of some sort to lift it into your UTV or onto your trailer.

Are you talking about the square tank in a cage ?? What does it weigh roughly when empty ??