Tools of the trade??

wisconsinteacher

5 year old buck +
I'm going into my second year as a land owner and plan on adding some tools/equipment to work with. I have an ATV, 25 gal sprayer, chainsaw and a nice shoulder broadcaster. I'm planning on building a 5' cultipacker and buying nice brush trimmer that looks like a weed whipper.

Is there anything else I need to work on my food plot and trails through the slashings on my land?

Thanks

A good felling wedge and a sledgehammer. **So you can get your chainsaw back.

**That has never happened to me before.. :emoji_rolling_eyes:
Haha that is why I always have two saws available.

A good boys axe is indispensable to have on hand.

Lawn tractor

Disc ,small ripper ,chain harrow

Also I very much like to have 30” or so hookaroon for moving small logs

I often think about some of the best tools I have ever invested in and use on my small chunk of land for habitat work and plotting. Hands down, one of the best investments I made was a Versa-Trailer by DR.

Pricey...but the work I have gotten out of that thing over the past 15 years is worth it. It will go absolutely anywhere my ATV will go. I can haul bucked up firewood, brush, lime, seed, fertilizer, rocks, tools, deer, etc. The box comes out of the trailer frame allowing me to haul logs. Absolute workhorse and nearly indispensable for me going from an untouched 30 acres of forest to plots and trails.

That, and a small collection of Silky saws in every size and shape.

P7200002.JPGP7200010.JPGIMG_1735.JPG

I'm going into my second year as a land owner and plan on adding some tools/equipment to work with. I have an ATV, 25 gal sprayer, chainsaw and a nice shoulder broadcaster. I'm planning on building a 5' cultipacker and buying nice brush trimmer that looks like a weed whipper.

Is there anything else I need to work on my food plot and trails through the slashings on my land?

Thanks
This Dewalt pole saw has become my favorite tool for trail limb maintenance. Makes removing those limbs that slap you in the face, or scratch you windshield a piece of cake. normally Just use 2 of the 3 sections for 10-12 of reach, but can use all three for the really tall overhanging stuff.

63F72C28-6ECC-49CD-B67A-A7D04367BDB4.jpeg

Thanks
Loppers and silky saw are my must haves.

a good broadcast spreader, and a hand bag seeder, if you have poor soil PH, I'd be looking hard to find a bulk lime spreading service company, if not, I'd be looking for a nice old drop spreader that you can use bulk pulverized lime in! not sure how much land you have, but if you own a few acres, I;'d start saving up for a nice older tractor too, it will save your atv a lot of beatings and get work down a lot faster!

My Stihl FS 560C is probably the most useful tool I own for habitat work with my types and age structure of trees.

A hatchet, saw and a squirt bottle can do a lot of change to a property

You want a brush cutter

I would recommend stihl kombisystem - get your brush cutter and pole saw plus other attachments - also really like power sweep and hedge pruners

Pull behind spreader for atv will save you a lot of time over a shoulder spreader. I use mine for soybeans, cereal grains, lime, and spreading fertilizer.

Billy Goat or DR brushmower

A Vermin eliminator:
JJMHtUn.jpg

I would have to say my most used is 2 ATVs, a trailer, and chainsaw equipment, pull behind sprayer, a spike toothed harrow, a pull behind spreader.

Not really equipment, but…The most enjoyable was my son to share all the experiences with, but he grew up and started his own family. I am hoping to get him back some day, and be able to do the same with the grandkids. Now I either do it myself, or when I need help, I have to negotiate with my wife to help her with stuff.

My dogs have always joined me in my projects, but now they are too old as well to walk back that far. But they use to be right next to me having a blast.

One thing to remember you will always have a list of projects that “need” to get done, but they can wait, sometimes life can’t. Don’t forget to have fun, and spend time with family and friends, and remember, they don’t have the same enthusiasm as you do.