Too Many Deer

Phil's right about the land boundary descriptions here in Pa. Nice square or rectangular properties are not normal here. In having our camp property surveyed, old courthouse records went back to the William Penn warrants. Those warrants were then later sold to timber companies in rectangular blocks and given numbers. But the parcel descriptions were metes and bounds measurements. Rock piles ( which are still there !!! ), oak trees, hemlock trees, streams, etc. were locators in the old system. Finding the old landmarks was complicated, but I have to say - a ton of fun !! I went to the Pa. State archives in Harrisburg and hunted up some of the old maps, which to my surprise were drawn on cloth !!! Very involved, but very cool project !!!

Alt was great with bears - his primary research subject from college days - but I think the deer issue was driven by timber and ins. co. $$$. I don't believe the PGC would bite the hand that fed it for so many years ( hunters ) by arbitrarily hammering the deer numbers. I too, believe other bigger $$$ and politically connected & influential entities were at work.