Today we closed on Maple Hill Farm! Habitat Projects

Thats a good looking planter

Well getting late in the Winter to be doing any tree killing (sap was already pushing on a smaller Hedge that I cut). I wanted to try and knock out a small number of junk trees that are casting the majority of the shade onto a little spot on the edge of a bedding area that I am going to try and frost seed some clover into yet this Winter. Flush cut a few smaller Elms as well to get some stump growth going this Spring as well.Double girdled hedge.jpgSmall clover plot in timber prep.jpgflush cut elm.jpg

Big cottonwood…

I was able to find a free source for some stratified Red Cedar tree seed. Going to try direct seeding some in a couple of different areas and with different methods to see what the germination rate is like. You can see the root radicle is already emerging on some. We talked today about whether or not that would be an issue with the freezing temps still in the forecast, time will tell. Sewed a few today. I will try and hold a few to plant later in the Spring when the threat of a hard freeze seems to be past. Obviously a nursery direct seeds them but it is not something that we know of as being tried in a "wild" situation.prestratified cedar seed.jpg

Are the cedar seeds stratified or scarified? I always heard they had to be scarified.I would cut those bigger trees that you sprayed all the way down if you can get them off to the side out of your way

I like cottonwood 2x4’s wood bees leave them alone great purlin material.

Are the cedar seeds stratified or scarified? I always heard they had to be scarified.I would cut those bigger trees that you sprayed all the way down if you can get them off to the side out of your way
Well actually both I believe, I didn't ask specifically. Outer seed coat has been removed so whether that was through just a mechanical process or acidification as well I don't know. Root radical is emerging on a few of them already. So germination I guess really isnt the question so much as if they will continue to germinate and successfully establish. Obviously birds routinely do the scarification and "planting" for us and we get cedars germinating regularly. Question I guess is what percentage of those bird processed seeds actually grow and survive? A very small percentage obviously or we would live in a 100% cedar forest. So this is a test to see if those seeds will continue to grow and successfully establish. Will 1 out of 10 produce a tree? 1 out of 100? I am simply taking a electric fence post, scratching through the surface duff down maybe a 1/2" into the soil and then dragging my boot back over the top and "packing" the soil by walking over the top of the same line.

I like cottonwood 2x4’s wood bees leave them alone great purlin material.
Actually that is an Elm, bark is deceiving a bit. No cottonwoods on my place that I have found yet. Going to plant a small number just because I enjoy hearing the wind blow through the leaves in early bow season..... the sound of fall. I have some solid board, cottonwood, fur stretchers that I have had for a number of years. They have actually held up quite well and are soft enough to push a fur pin into (glorified thumb tack).

Thanks for the clarification on species. My neighbor also likes cottonwood for lowboy decking has enough give to not tear apart from the heavy track machines.

Planted some of my acorns in tree pots today. I will also be direct seeding some as well, but I want to do a side by side trial on the two methods. I know folks get a little up tight about letting the white oak acorns set in the fridge over Winter, but I havent had a whole lot of issues with planting them even when they have a decent sized root radicle growing. DCO in this picture. Just be careful not to bust it off when planting.

Bin of acorns being seeded in tree pots.jpg

A little prescribed fire today... finally! Timing is always terrible, either the schedule doesn't allow or there is a damn burn bad in effect on the days we have time. I told my wife we were burning today. The weather was actually perfect for the majority of what we knocked out today. Lost the wind at sundown and the humidity level rose too much, fire was cold at that point and not getting the burn we wanted. Had about another 5 acres I would like to have gotten done today. It was a start though. I had never used a backpackburning at Maple Hill.jpg leaf blower for fire control work before, its now on my list for Father's Day or next Christmas. Had one on loan from a friend that swore if I used it I would like it. If you havent ever used one for that purpose, give one a try. Just like any tool it has limitations, but works well for putting out back fires. Even used it for "fanning" the flames when we hit a spot that was a little low in the fuel department.

I’ll have to pick up a leaf blower that’s a good idea.

I’ll have to pick up a leaf blower that’s a good idea.
They are definitely worth looking into. We normally use a backpack water sprayer for controlling little flare ups and maintaining control of the fireline, but the backpack blower really simplified the process. We would have had to stop multiple times to refill water, didnt even use 2 gallons of water yesterday. Never had to refuel on the leafblower and we ran it probably 3-4 hours, though probably 50% of the time it was just idling. Maybe I will try to shoot some videos on our next burn in terms of how we used it, but uploading videos is a bummer.

That’s one of my favorites..
And I would have sworn that was a cottonwood.

That’s one of my favorites..
And I would have sworn that was a cottonwood.
Its kind of odd as there are Cottonwood trees in our immediate area but none that I have seen on our place or directly adjacent to it. We have plenty of those areas that I typically think of as good cottonwood locations.

Dang Spring is a busy time of year! Never enough time to get "fun" things done. Finally tilled and broadcast a 4 clover blend into a few tiny clover plots late today. Supposed to rain so hopefully that will settle the soil a bit on the seed. I had hoped to frost seed, but we jumped straight from Winter to Summer. We will see how it does. Didnt have a lot invested in the seed, and knew it wasnt going to grow if it wasnt in the ground. The green in the picture is just cool season grass. I sprayed the plots with Glyphosate a couple of weeks ago. Couple passes with the tiller today, smoothed it out nice. Had hoped to get the fruit trees in the ground today and a few other things, but ran out of time.

tilling clover plots after spraying.jpg

Looks good. What trees are your favorite to plant.

Saw your post of those tree pots. Got a picture of those pots empty or from the side.

Well the only thing I have ever had much luck growing in pots is oaks. I have a few Burr, Sawtooth and DCO that are going into the ground here. Have some bare root fruit trees obviously LOL, as well as some Red Mulberry and Native Plum yet to get in the ground this year. Have some Persimmon seed that I am germinating as well. Going to direct sow some Burr acorns and Persimmon seed as well.

Got the rain last night I wanted as well as high winds and hail. Lost a big tree just off the edge of yard luckily it didnt hit the house, and I dont see hail damage on the vehicles so far.

You’re lucky with the rain, last years summer drought drained my ponds the rain still hasn’t even filled them back up. The rain seems to go north and south of us. Hope the wet weather begins in earnest pretty soon or lots of folks will have dry ponds around here this summer.