Tire Plug Kit

ghilliehunter

5 year old buck +
I'm looking for a tire plug kit for tractor tires. Sooner or later I'll run a locust thorn thru a tire. Any suggestions?

Slime....

and a cheap tire plug kit from anywhere.
If that won’t fix it it needs a patch plug and that’s a tire shop.

Slime....

and a cheap tire plug kit from anywhere.
If that won’t fix it it needs a patch plug and that’s a tire shop.
Thanks Bill, I figured any of the kits were as good as another. Just wanted to verify.

I have had good luck with the SLIME repair Kits
but if you wanted better advice, maybe contact a good tractor tire service center and ask what they recommend, as they would have more experience with what BRAND/brands, have better tools included with there kits, as this is a BIG part of trying to push a plug thru a tractor tire as to say an ATV or lighter thin rubber tire carcass

and I know there are different types of plugs, some are shaped differently and well made of totally different compounds and looking plugs

I have bought several kits over the yrs to keep onboard different atv's/trucks and things, and trust me they AIN"T all the same, even SAME brand from a few yrs down the road change what they stick in kits, as I used to buy same one's till they started getting plugs that for me SUCKED as to the old one's they had same with cheap tools that rust away real fast and bend easy as to the better one's they USED to come with!

but a GOOD tire shop should have the better info and even sell the better products

next question might be what portable air compressor to carry LOL
I have gone thru about a dozen of them too, some cheap models lasted longer than some of the HIGH costing one's sadly?? and they all don't fill a tire the same rate, some take a LONG time to fill a tall tractor tire! same with how long there cords are, not much fun finding out a cord is about a ft short of reaching a tire AFTER you got a flat LOL
been there before
now make sure all compressors/vehicles have 12 volt cig plugs that reach ALL tires

I have had good luck with the SLIME repair Kits
but if you wanted better advice, maybe contact a good tractor tire service center and ask what they recommend, as they would have more experience with what BRAND/brands, have better tools included with there kits, as this is a BIG part of trying to push a plug thru a tractor tire as to say an ATV or lighter thin rubber tire carcass

and I know there are different types of plugs, some are shaped differently and well made of totally different compounds and looking plugs

I have bought several kits over the yrs to keep onboard different atv's/trucks and things, and trust me they AIN"T all the same, even SAME brand from a few yrs down the road change what they stick in kits, as I used to buy same one's till they started getting plugs that for me SUCKED as to the old one's they had same with cheap tools that rust away real fast and bend easy as to the better one's they USED to come with!

but a GOOD tire shop should have the better info and even sell the better products

next question might be what portable air compressor to carry LOL
I have gone thru about a dozen of them too, some cheap models lasted longer than some of the HIGH costing one's sadly?? and they all don't fill a tire the same rate, some take a LONG time to fill a tall tractor tire! same with how long there cords are, not much fun finding out a cord is about a ft short of reaching a tire AFTER you got a flat LOL
been there before
now make sure all compressors/vehicles have 12 volt cig plugs that reach ALL tires
Thanks MRBB, good idea on the portable compressor too!

As a roofing contractor I plug more than most. Most come from the trips into landfill to dump, not job sites- or at least i try to belive that.
For a while it was one or two plugs per week mostly on our dump trailers but have been running slime in all trailer tires for the last 2 years and saves a ton of plugging. Not cheap but effective. I did the tires on one truck but didn't like feeling it shake in the steering wheel. For plugging, Buy a nice set of plug tools, the plugs seem no different to me if cheap harbor freight ones or the slime brand ones. Use rubber cement for a lubricant to get plug in, soap works but seems to let the plug slide back out on occasion

I also agree with the slime idea. Keep a couple cans around for the ATV, SUV, and lawn mower. It works!

As a roofing contractor I plug more than most. Most come from the trips into landfill to dump, not job sites- or at least i try to belive that.
For a while it was one or two plugs per week mostly on our dump trailers but have been running slime in all trailer tires for the last 2 years and saves a ton of plugging. Not cheap but effective. I did the tires on one truck but didn't like feeling it shake in the steering wheel. For plugging, Buy a nice set of plug tools, the plugs seem no different to me if cheap harbor freight ones or the slime brand ones. Use rubber cement for a lubricant to get plug in, soap works but seems to let the plug slide back out on occasion
Thanks Northbound. Great idea on using rubber cement!

I also agree with the slime idea. Keep a couple cans around for the ATV, SUV, and lawn mower. It works!

I keep cans with all of those. Had an 8-wheeler tractor a few years ago where the rubber didn't seem to cure properly on the tires. Put 40 gallons of slime in the tires and although they still had premature wear, they didn't lose air anymore. Never been a fan of Goodyear tractor tires.

Tireject is better than Slime in my opinion.

For plug repairs I use Steelman plug patch. You have to take the tire off the rim but it is far superior to a plug. The plug patch is considered a permanent repair and maintains the speed rating of your tire which is important for highway use.

Tireject is better than Slime in my opinion.

For plug repairs I use Steelman plug patch. You have to take the tire off the rim but it is far superior to a plug. The plug patch is considered a permanent repair and maintains the speed rating of your tire which is important for highway use.

Does the Tireject also help inflate the tire or just add sealant?

It just adds sealant. Several YouTube videos and website videos. It is great stuff in my opinion.

Being an auto mechanic, I will tell you that if I am told there is slime in a tire, and the customer wants a new tire, I won’t do it. If the customer doesn’t tell me ahead of time, I will charge the customer at least an extra hour labor to clean up all that slime that is all over the tire machine, floor and walls when I am done. So at least an additional $100 per tire with slime in it to mount. Most shops won’t touch the stuff. So just a heads up!

In saying that, I use to run it in my ATV tires until I hit a rock on a trail and my tire popped and sprayed me. Nothing like driving for 4 more hours with slime all over my shirt, face and pants. Fun stuff!