Tillers?

gunther89

5 year old buck +
So this could be a stupid question and I apologize in advance if it is. When it comes to tillers for tractors, as long as the tractor has a PTO will any tiller work? We have a tractor with a PTO and I am looking into making buying a used tiller to do our food plots.

You need to be sure the tiller can be handled by the tractor.

What HP tractor(PTO hp) do you have?

I'm not sure. I know its a Massey Ferguson that currently has a brush hog on it. I will check when I am up at our land this weekend.

Also figure out if your 3pt will lift it, larger, wider tillers can get heavy.

Well I talked with my cousin and its a Massey Ferguson 65. Looked up some information on it and PTO is 41 HP.

The 3pt was able to lift a disk so it should be able to lift a tiller.

Typically tractors can handle PTO implements at about 5 PTO HP per foot of implement. So If you have a 30 HP at the PTO (not engine HP) then you should be able to run about a 6 foot tiller or Brush hog. Weight can be a factor too. Some of the smaller SUB-CUT's have the HP but not the weight to handle heavy implements on the 3 point.....so the rule of thumb is quite general.

I have 25 PTO HP and generally look for 5 foot implements to compliment my tractor. I would think your Massey Ferguson would have a more power....but you didn't state the model ID. Most small utility tractors operate 5 or 6 foot implements.....and those implements are quite common.

Edit. Ooops. Just saw your post after writing the above. Yep.....you got enough power for a six foot tiller and about any weight you want.

Thanks for the reply's everyone! Greatly appreciate it.

I think the big issue with using tillers with older tractors is ... will the tractor go slow enough to let the tiller be effective? If the tractor has high/low range, gear reduction, torque amplification (or various other names for the same thing) it will probably be OK.

I think the big issue with using tillers with older tractors is ... will the tractor go slow enough to let the tiller be effective? If the tractor has high/low range, gear reduction, torque amplification (or various other names for the same thing) it will probably be OK.

VERY good point. Seems easy to forget that a Hydro is a tillers best friend. If you got a low range that will get your ground speed to about 3 MPH with the PTO spinning at operating RPM......then your gear tractor is fine.