Ticks

buckdeer1

5 year old buck +
Has anyone found anything that can be mixed with mineral or any other way to help deer with ticks.Can't imagine that it wouldn't help with overall deer health.This one from this year and I have a does that the entire back of ear is covered

Attachments

• ticks1.jpg
    ticks1.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 39
Would be neat to rig up a machine to give them a squirt of permethrin between the shoulder blades. That's what my dog gets, and it works well.

I've heard eating garlic keeps the ticks at bay, but I don't have any experience using it.

Disgusting!

Are those ticks on his antlers too?

1D7216A9-8E93-4B9D-BFCB-9C233027A7BF.jpeg

Cattlemen mix garlic in with the mineral. You can buy it in quantity online. I would think a cattle rub should work with enough corn piled up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230618_094207_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230618_094207_Gallery.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 22
Problem is even with a feeder only 10% of deer go to it this time of year.Maybe with multiple mineral licks with something might get more out there.May just have to do some testing

Redmond makes a garlic blended salt block or granular. I don't know how much it works, but it's been an idea out there.

What's odd, is that deer in some regions seem to eat the ticks off of each other. We're filthy with wood ticks in northern MN, but I've never seen deer have any problem with them. Who knows what sup'd up zombie ticks DARPA and the USDA have released across the landscape though?

I usually see less ticks when it gets hot but have to worry about the tiny seed ticks more.I noticed tonight while going through pictures that not a deer had ticks on their ears now.Anyone else seeing this?

Hot, dry weather kills off ticks. The dehydrate relatively easily (not for human consumption! LOL) I have seen a couple videos and podcasts on that over the last year. Grant Woods just had one on his YouTube channel the other day with 2 professors form Oklahoma. The focus was on the fact that tick populations seem to be highest in areas with significant amounts of Eastern Red Cedar. The cedars themselves create a microclimate that is more favorable to the ticks surviving hot, dry conditions. If you can run a growing season fire through an area you significantly knock the tick population down as well.

Hot, dry weather kills off ticks. The dehydrate relatively easily (not for human consumption! LOL) I have seen a couple videos and podcasts on that over the last year. Grant Woods just had one on his YouTube channel the other day with 2 professors form Oklahoma. The focus was on the fact that tick populations seem to be highest in areas with significant amounts of Eastern Red Cedar. The cedars themselves create a microclimate that is more favorable to the ticks surviving hot, dry conditions. If you can run a growing season fire through an area you significantly knock the tick population down as well.
Interesting I did not know that !

More to read for those that are interested.

I definitely get way less ticks on me starting in July or so. I just operated under the belief that most ticks have completed their life cycle by late summer and therefore there’s substantially less to go around. No idea if it’s true but even my deer have way less later. Not dry here so that can’t be a factor this year.

I just found a deer tick in the back of my leg a couple of weeks ago. I had just heard there is a Lab you can send them to in East Stroudsburg, PA to get tested. Of course mine came back positive for Lymes so I have to take the antibiotics. 😢

I just found a deer tick in the back of my leg a couple of weeks ago. I had just heard there is a Lab you can send them to in East Stroudsburg, PA to get tested. Of course mine came back positive for Lymes so I have to take the antibiotics. 😢
Not that it is ever wise to get Lyme disease, at least catching it very early helps speed recovery.

Don't spend time in the sun when on the antibiotic.I have had lyme twice and RMSF once,