Throw and Mow In Bahia or Coastal Bermuda

hilltopper

5 year old buck +
I want to plant grain sorghum strips (mostly for birds) in existing bahia and bermuda hay fields in South Georgia using throw and mow. Has anyone done something like this? What would be the timing, seeding rate, etc.? I would plant something with the sorghum to make it better for deer. Ideas?

Last edited:
Sorry I can't help you on the timing of planting but I have planted a sorghum mix that I added e-wheat, millet, milo, sunflowers, oats, rye, buckwheat, red clover, hairy vetch around June 1st here in MI. When I planted my brassicas in July I ran through there and broadcast some into it.

Pics from a couple weeks ago

I want to plant grain sorghum strips (mostly for birds) in existing bahia and bermuda hay fields in South Georgia using throw and mow. Has anyone done something like this? What would be the timing, seeding rate, etc.? I would plant something with the sorghum to make it better for deer. Ideas?

So I didn't get much of a response to this thread two years ago, but I thought I would share our experiment. In early May we sprayed two strips in a grassy (bahia and coastal) area with glyphosate and by mid-May we did a throw and mow with grain sorghum. Here's how it looks right now. The farmer who put it in for me said "he really learned something." He was pretty skeptical of the method but not anymore. They have had very good rains this summer.

Attachments

• IMG_4668.jpeg
    IMG_4668.jpeg
    493.7 KB · Views: 29
Looks good!

That looks real good. And there's nothing like teaching an old dog a new t

Thanks for the follow-up report Hilltopper. You have motivated me to put a strip down the center of one of my plots for a September dove hunt.