All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This Cat likes to eat

Howboutthemdawgs

5 year old buck +
I’m fortunate to have great friends! Good buddy of mine bought this brand new rig with a mulching head on it and had it delivered last week. He is “in between” farms right now so he decided my place would be a great place to break her in. He came up Sunday and we did more in one day than I could have done in a year by hand. I have had a major league man crush on a skid steer for a while so this did nothing to help them...
We expanded and squared up some funky shaped plots I inherited from the previous owner and cleaned up some other stuff. It’s so fast and efficient I believe I could completely transform my place in a weeks time with one. What love about that mulching head is I’m not left with a giant push pile to either burn or let rot. It’s a true to life game changer for property management. 9839F573-EE85-466C-90B4-09B2DB27216A.jpeg8886173D-C926-4A0E-8EA9-A7431FA451C2.jpeg244705FE-0946-4C34-89EA-411502D268B3.jpeg

Wow, you did well!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Nice...I noticed you mentioned not having piles to rot or burn. How big a tree are you talking about mulching? It looks like from your photo everything is small and the stump And roots are still under that dirt so you are gonna get a lot of regen.

Nice...I noticed you mentioned not having piles to rot or burn. How big a tree are you talking about mulching? It looks like from your photo everything is small and the stump And roots are still under that dirt so you are gonna get a lot of regen.
I was actually thinking about the amount of honey locust I would have post use with one of those.
They are hell on cedar though.

Luckily most were small but we ran into a couple 6”-8” or so. When you run the machine back over to mulch the mess it digs down so it cuts the roots pretty good. Yeah I expect some regen and I will spray it during spring green up to knock it back.

I was actually thinking about the amount of honey locust I would have post use with one of those.
They are hell on cedar though.
Cedar is super easy to get rid of...fire or mechanical either way...

I had some mulching done a few years ago with a machine about that size. Quite a few 12” trees - some even larger. The only species that stump sprouted was sweetgum. None of the locust resprouted. A couple things you need to consider with a mulcher - the stumps they leave - even if flush with the ground - can prevent you from doing dirt work in that area for a number of years. But also remember if you push trees with a dozer it can leave soft spots after you fill the stump hole. A mulcher will spread locust thorns like confetti - making the area problematic for wheeled vehicles. Also, the chips can retard growth in the area. I found the best thing for me was to refrain from mulching the log section of bigger trees to reduce chips and machine time - and also refrain from mulching locust. I prefer to use a dozer in food plots and a mulcher in trails or opening up wooded areas. But a word of caution in food plots with a dozer - it is easy to take too much topsoil. A mulcher leaves all the topsoil. I wish I had a mulcher AND a dozer - and also a trackhoe.

Nice work and with that equipment it's fun work!!

I had some mulching done a few years ago with a machine about that size. Quite a few 12” trees - some even larger. The only species that stump sprouted was sweetgum. None of the locust resprouted. A couple things you need to consider with a mulcher - the stumps they leave - even if flush with the ground - can prevent you from doing dirt work in that area for a number of years. But also remember if you push trees with a dozer it can leave soft spots after you fill the stump hole. A mulcher will spread locust thorns like confetti - making the area problematic for wheeled vehicles. Also, the chips can retard growth in the area. I found the best thing for me was to refrain from mulching the log section of bigger trees to reduce chips and machine time - and also refrain from mulching locust. I prefer to use a dozer in food plots and a mulcher in trails or opening up wooded areas. But a word of caution in food plots with a dozer - it is easy to take too much topsoil. A mulcher leaves all the topsoil. I wish I had a mulcher AND a dozer - and also a trackhoe.

I have the dozer part...next I am gonna find me an excavator...
d66416ad470679786ca4e48fa485c3a1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk