This Cat likes to eat

Howboutthemdawgs

5 year old buck +
I’m fortunate to have great friends! Good buddy of mine bought this brand new rig with a mulching head on it and had it delivered last week. He is “in between” farms right now so he decided my place would be a great place to break her in. He came up Sunday and we did more in one day than I could have done in a year by hand. I have had a major league man crush on a skid steer for a while so this did nothing to help them...
We expanded and squared up some funky shaped plots I inherited from the previous owner and cleaned up some other stuff. It’s so fast and efficient I believe I could completely transform my place in a weeks time with one. What love about that mulching head is I’m not left with a giant push pile to either burn or let rot. It’s a true to life game changer for property management. 9839F573-EE85-466C-90B4-09B2DB27216A.jpeg8886173D-C926-4A0E-8EA9-A7431FA451C2.jpeg244705FE-0946-4C34-89EA-411502D268B3.jpeg

Wow, you did well!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Nice...I noticed you mentioned not having piles to rot or burn. How big a tree are you talking about mulching? It looks like from your photo everything is small and the stump And roots are still under that dirt so you are gonna get a lot of regen.

Nice...I noticed you mentioned not having piles to rot or burn. How big a tree are you talking about mulching? It looks like from your photo everything is small and the stump And roots are still under that dirt so you are gonna get a lot of regen.
I was actually thinking about the amount of honey locust I would have post use with one of those.
They are hell on cedar though.

Luckily most were small but we ran into a couple 6”-8” or so. When you run the machine back over to mulch the mess it digs down so it cuts the roots pretty good. Yeah I expect some regen and I will spray it during spring green up to knock it back.

I was actually thinking about the amount of honey locust I would have post use with one of those.
They are hell on cedar though.
Cedar is super easy to get rid of...fire or mechanical either way...

I had some mulching done a few years ago with a machine about that size. Quite a few 12” trees - some even larger. The only species that stump sprouted was sweetgum. None of the locust resprouted. A couple things you need to consider with a mulcher - the stumps they leave - even if flush with the ground - can prevent you from doing dirt work in that area for a number of years. But also remember if you push trees with a dozer it can leave soft spots after you fill the stump hole. A mulcher will spread locust thorns like confetti - making the area problematic for wheeled vehicles. Also, the chips can retard growth in the area. I found the best thing for me was to refrain from mulching the log section of bigger trees to reduce chips and machine time - and also refrain from mulching locust. I prefer to use a dozer in food plots and a mulcher in trails or opening up wooded areas. But a word of caution in food plots with a dozer - it is easy to take too much topsoil. A mulcher leaves all the topsoil. I wish I had a mulcher AND a dozer - and also a trackhoe.

Nice work and with that equipment it's fun work!!

I had some mulching done a few years ago with a machine about that size. Quite a few 12” trees - some even larger. The only species that stump sprouted was sweetgum. None of the locust resprouted. A couple things you need to consider with a mulcher - the stumps they leave - even if flush with the ground - can prevent you from doing dirt work in that area for a number of years. But also remember if you push trees with a dozer it can leave soft spots after you fill the stump hole. A mulcher will spread locust thorns like confetti - making the area problematic for wheeled vehicles. Also, the chips can retard growth in the area. I found the best thing for me was to refrain from mulching the log section of bigger trees to reduce chips and machine time - and also refrain from mulching locust. I prefer to use a dozer in food plots and a mulcher in trails or opening up wooded areas. But a word of caution in food plots with a dozer - it is easy to take too much topsoil. A mulcher leaves all the topsoil. I wish I had a mulcher AND a dozer - and also a trackhoe.

I have the dozer part...next I am gonna find me an excavator...
d66416ad470679786ca4e48fa485c3a1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk