Thinking Ahead

Early Bird

5 year old buck +
Just recently I planted rye, red clover, and radishes in my 1 acre plot. I am looking ahead to late spring and I am planning on putting buck wheat into the plot around Memorial day. I plan on doing it throw and roll but my question is this. After I throw the Buck Wheat what can I spray the field with that will kill the Rye but will not kill the clover? My goal is to have Buckwheat and clover until I plant again in August. Is it even possible?

I'm not sure how much success you will have doing this. Unless your planting rate for the red clover was very low, you might have a problem. Buckwheat is frost sensitive so you can't plant it too early. It will germinate at fairly low soil temperatures, but it tends to be lethargic when I plant in cold soil. The optimal soil temp (not air temp) for buckwheat is 80 degrees. I don't like to plant it in soils under about 60 degrees. (Soil temp is measured between 0800 and 0900 in the morning before the sun warms it).

My experience with red clover is that it bounces back pretty early the first spring. It is not an annual clover, but a short lived perennial. I usually get 2 or 3 seasons out of a planting. You can give it a try, but I think the clover may be too thick to plant buckwheat without killing it.

Best of luck,

Jack

Good info, thanks guys. I will probably have to access in the spring.

Just recently I planted rye, red clover, and radishes in my 1 acre plot. I am looking ahead to late spring and I am planning on putting buck wheat into the plot around Memorial day. I plan on doing it throw and roll but my question is this. After I throw the Buck Wheat what can I spray the field with that will kill the Rye but will not kill the clover? My goal is to have Buckwheat and clover until I plant again in August. Is it even possible?

I am always confused by these ... I want to do something now, so in 5 months I don't have to do that ...

Why are you focusing on buckwheat?

I am always confused by these ... I want to do something now, so in 5 months I don't have to do that ...

Why are you focusing on buckwheat?

What part is confusing? If you are asking why I want to plant buckwheat in the spring it's to help build the soil and if I have some clover still there, at least in my eyes is a bonus. I am not asking what to do now, I am just trying to plan ahead. So essentially the question is what can I spray before I plant Buck wheat in the spring that will kill rye but not harm the clover, and is that possible? I think I have the answer to the question from the other posters. Thanks

What part is confusing? If you are asking why I want to plant buckwheat in the spring it's to help build the soil and if I have some clover still there, at least in my eyes is a bonus. I am not asking what to do now, I am just trying to plan ahead. So essentially the question is what can I spray before I plant Buck wheat in the spring that will kill rye but not harm the clover, and is that possible? I think I have the answer to the question from the other posters. Thanks

I too was infected with the "more is better" mindset when I first started. Sure, buckwheat is good for the soil but only to a point. It is really the combination of crops and planting techniques that really benefit both soil and deer. I think tree spud's point is that focusing on the Buckwheat with your red clover as a "bonus" may not be the best way to think about it.

It will all depend on your planting rates this fall and situation and such. You know that best. The alternative way to look at it is this: Fall planted clover really flourishes in the spring. Medium Red clover is a short-lived perennial which will provide several years of food and fix N into the soil. It is a great soil builder especially when paired with WR. The combination of C (from the WR) and N (from the clover) is a great pair for building OM (which may or may not be a limitation for you). So, you already have a crop planted that should provide good soil building and deer food through next summer if not next fall.

So, the alternative view is to do less. Plan to let the clover grow and either mow or let the WR head out depending on how thick it is. Buckwheat likes warm soils as I mentioned in the previous post so it can be planted quite late and only provides 60 to 90 days of deer food. One would easily have enough time to just let things go in the spring. If the WR is too thick and the red clover too thin, you can always spray, mow, and roll buckwheat in. My thinking is to let the field tell you what to do next spring.

That is not to say your question is not perfectly valid for planning and I think Bill gave you the answer you need if you go the buckwheat route.

Thanks,

Jack

Awesome! Thanks for the information. I am a beginner and I don't know much on the subject, although I love to learn and I always appreciate the information. Thanks