The "value" of a no-till drill.

For those that have the 606NT drill, do you think a JD 4720 could pull it? FEL/4WD currently, but could add fluid in tires as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those that have the 606NT drill, do you think a JD 4720 could pull it? FEL/4WD currently, but could add fluid in tires as well

Are you talking about a 3pt. model or pull type? I think it will "pull" either, but my tractor weighs twice as much and when I lift my 3pt model it can throw you around. You are definitely on the edge for a 3pt model, between what your 3 pt. can lift and also the way the 3pt model leverages your tractor when in the air. I'd feel better pulling an end wheel model with that tractor, add hills and things change more.

For reference, I use JD5400 with 4x4 and a loader, and you definitely know it's there. I think it's the perfect size tractor for the 3pt model, though.

Are you talking about a 3pt. model or pull type? I think it will "pull" either, but my tractor weighs twice as much and when I lift my 3pt model it can throw you around. You are definitely on the edge for a 3pt model, between what your 3 pt. can lift and also the way the 3pt model leverages your tractor when in the air. I'd feel better pulling an end wheel model with that tractor, add hills and things change more.

For reference, I use JD5400 with 4x4 and a loader, and you definitely know it's there. I think it's the perfect size tractor for the 3pt model, though.

I would be getting the pull type for this reason. But I do have hills... and a bunch of them.

You should be fine kl9. They recommend a minimum of 40 HP for the pull behind 606NT. I don't think you would want to have the weight of the 3Pt 606NT on your tractor - especially if you have hilly terrain but you should have no problem pulling the end wheel drill.

Reactions: kl9
You should be fine kl9. They recommend a minimum of 40 HP for the pull behind 606NT. I don't think you would want to have the weight of the 3Pt 606NT on your tractor - especially if you have hilly terrain but you should have no problem pulling the end wheel drill.

I agree.

I'll third it. With a pull type you should be good. If you're planting deep into tilled ground it may grunt on a hill. Sounds nuts to do that but I have tilled fertilizer in then no tilled but don't make a habit of it.

Another tip for guys who are new with them. Mow last years beans before planting this years. The left over stubble can get all tangled in the opener disks and plug your drill up bad. It's worse if the grounds a bit wet. Somehow if you over seeded rye into the beans and the rye is tall this doesn't happen as bad. But I put my FEL about an inch off the ground and crease the rye over as I'm drilling. Just look for fawns before doing it.....

I want to plant Cave In Rock Switchgrass with it this year but I can not find that seed listed in my planting guide.

Almost forgot...

Here is what my notes say.
Drive gear 2 seed rate setting 35 put out 4.3 to 4.5 lbs per acre when calibrating the drill. Actual field use those setting put down about 3.75 lbs per acre.

I kept other calibration notes on my way up to seed rate setting 35

Gear 2 setting 30=3.5 lbs/acre
Gear 2 setting 15=1.65 lbs/acre

So there is a starting point.

Almost forgot...

Here is what my notes say.
Drive gear 2 seed rate setting 35 put out 4.3 to 4.5 lbs per acre when calibrating the drill. Actual field use those setting put down about 3.75 lbs per acre.

I kept other calibration notes on my way up to seed rate setting 35

Gear 2 setting 30=3.5 lbs/acre
Gear 2 setting 15=1.65 lbs/acre

So there is a starting point.

Thanks Bill - Very much appreciated.