The Sandbox

Thanks, guys.

Satchmo- the north sandbox is about 25 miles northeast of Nimrod. Just into zone 1.
Foggy and I were talking after he and I walked the land last spring. He feels I should spend more of my efforts up there and I am beginning to do so.

Nimrod used to have lots of deer in the 70's.

I picked up my 120 acre "Sandbox" in 2010. It's about 7 or 8 miles ENE of Nimrod and have been working hard try and get more organic matter pounded into that sand. Works great for building up the driveway though. Definately going to try some of that no till, rolling the rye and broadcasting trick that the guys have been showing on here.

I picked up my 120 acre "Sandbox" in 2010. It's about 7 or 8 miles ENE of Nimrod and have been working hard try and get more organic matter pounded into that sand. Works great for building up the driveway though. Definately going to try some of that no till, rolling the rye and broadcasting trick that the guys have been showing on here.
Do you have lots of jack pines of a uniform age? Maybe as a result of the fires in that area or did your land miss them?

No I'm south of Huntersville and just 3 miles north of Cass co. 20 that cuts across to Nimrod from 64. In Wadena county but my east boundry is the Cass county line.

Two fawns were bedding under the spruce...IMG_9146.JPG

And nibbling on the ptt. IMG_9145.JPG

I wanted to cross the ditch to check my grafted dolgo and NWG forIMG_9147.JPG scion, but could not cross the ditch.

However this seedling crabapple will provide some scion

IMG_9143.JPG

and this seedling crab

IMG_9144.JPG

and the garden (rootstock ) crab.IMG_9141.JPG

Another little bedding pocket with a manmade deer trail to the right.IMG_9148.JPG

Boy....... that sure looks like good, " deery " country Bur. Those pix remind me of some places up in Maine - or even northern Pa. I would just expect to see bucks lurking & slinking around thru the spruce and passing between patches of cover. Those crabs look real good too. I'll be planting more of them this spring at camp. Can't have too many!

Sandbur.......Is that your Cass county sandbox there?

Sandbur.......Is that your Cass county sandbox there?
The posts from Sunday are in Morrison County.

With your man made deer trails are you enhancing existing trails to make them buck friendly or putting in new trails altogether trying to direct movement?

With your man made deer trails are you enhancing existing trails to make them buck friendly or putting in new trails altogether trying to direct movement?
Most are new trails, but the one along my north hillside has existed for years. I have modified it a bit to direct deer flow. Other areas are what had been open ground before I planted spruce, kept the cattle out, or kept the fire out.
My trails are not aimed specifically at bucks, but are made 6 foot high and about 30 -36 inches wide so a buck can easily walk down them. Dr.Ken Nordberg had a series of books from about 15-20 years ago and that was his recommendations for buck movement. He hunted the Aitkin Country and then moved to the edge of the Boundary waters to hunt.

I read Dr. Nordberg's books. I am working on enhancing existing trails that connect food and swing around known doe bedding areas and pass by good tree stand ambush sites. Keeping them 36" wide and 6' high like he did in the North country he hunted. How have your trails worked out. Are the Bucks using them like you hoped?

We do not have a lot of deer, but the trails have worked out pretty well. I take a push mower set on high and mow them in the summer. Actually I use the wheels above the notches-more than high.I have some blockades in place-hinges that need some maintenance.

Somewhere I have a set of tapes from his classes. Parts are a bit hard to hear, but OK.
pm me with your address and if I can find them, I can ship them to you. Return them whenever you wish. A decent thing to watch on a cold winter day.

I see his fist book was 1998. My wife used to buy me one for Christmas every year.

I had all those books at one time but loaned them out and haven't seen them again. I watched some of his tapes but found them hard to get through.

I had all those books at one time but loaned them out and haven't seen them again. I watched some of his tapes but found them hard to get through.
Same thing for me on both counts.

Last edited:
Could I be called Tony L if I planted this tree?

This looks like a bed a young buck used as there are two small rubs by it.

IMG_9169.JPG

I found another pocket with a deer bed nearby.

IMG_9170.JPG

Just behind it is this rub. Every balsam fir that I plant here is rubbed to death.

IMG_9172.JPG