The Little Woods

I don’t see near as many people hunting bunnies as I used too, when I was a kid almost all the boys in school skipped if the opener fell on a school day.
Same here in Pa. We used to see fields and hillsides with lines of guys in orange safety gear hunting small game in most parts of the state. Not so anymore. For economic reasons, farmers don't let fields go fallow into weeds like they used to, or have brushy fencerows either. Many old fencerows have been scalped and turned into production acres. The old weed fields that used to hold rabbits, pheasants, and some woodcock are productive fields now, or have been sold into "developments." My relatives and I used to flush pheasants and rabbits out of so many weed fields on a regular basis.

The never-ending push to pave over and "develop" everything that's green and natural cuts animal numbers ------- and hunter numbers as well. My wife is even disgusted with the "developing" of sooo many green spots around our home area. Where are hunters supposed to hunt when so much is being cut down, bull-dozed, and paved?? I take solace in reading of the guys on here planting all kinds of habitat for the future generations. Where will people that love to "get out into the country" go ------ when there isn't much "country" left??

You have a couple really great pieces of habitat growing already at the 2 farms, H20. Keep up the GREAT work!!!

Last edited:
Around Dayton the coyotes seem to have decimated the rabbits, or possibly changed their behavior.

Around Dayton the coyotes seem to have decimated the rabbits, or possibly changed their behavior.

I agree.

Back when I as growing up all through the 70’s bunnies were literally everywhere. We still had quail and pheasant too. In the early 70’s they passed a law protecting birds of prey then coyotes came on the scene in the early 80’s.
We also had a crazy bad blizzard in 78 that wiped out most of the pheasants and quail.

But the absolute worst thing that happened here is what Bowsnbucks hit on…loss of habitat.

Farmers kept expanding dozing off fence rows and filling in wet spots, tiling all their ground. They went full out trying to get every bushel per acre they could. My own father said many times “the only thing prettier than a field full of crops is the smoke of bulldozer”.
The whole mentality of farming changed everyone wanted the clean look from property line to property line. It hurt the wildlife bad, nothing left to eat and no cover. Even farmers in government programs now mow a bunch and spray weeds off in CRP and WRP projects wanting them clean looking too.
I’ve got a good friend that loves to hunt, he has a few hundred acres that he farms. Comes out to our farms and really loves to see the back to nature of it. I’ve told him a few times to break off a few acres of his and let it go wild, plant habitat stuff in it. He screws up his face and acts like I slapped him, in his mind he just has to plant every inch of ground..I think he is funny, he must think I’m crazy.

All one has to do is look at ground this time of year, is there good cover, is there food. If not no wildlife or not much, thats all it takes.

To me that is why sites like this are so important to help change that mentality and to help teach others how to manage for wildlife sharing ideas. And it is just fun and addictive!

I agree.

Back when I as growing up all through the 70’s bunnies were literally everywhere. We still had quail and pheasant too. In the early 70’s they passed a law protecting birds of prey then coyotes came on the scene in the early 80’s.
We also had a crazy bad blizzard in 78 that wiped out most of the pheasants and quail.

But the absolute worst thing that happened here is what Bowsnbucks hit on…loss of habitat.

Farmers kept expanding dozing off fence rows and filling in wet spots, tiling all their ground. They went full out trying to get every bushel per acre they could. My own father said many times “the only thing prettier than a field full of crops is the smoke of bulldozer”.
The whole mentality of farming changed everyone wanted the clean look from property line to property line. It hurt the wildlife bad, nothing left to eat and no cover. Even farmers in government programs now mow a bunch and spray weeds off in CRP and WRP projects wanting them clean looking too.
I’ve got a good friend that loves to hunt, he has a few hundred acres that he farms. Comes out to our farms and really loves to see the back to nature of it. I’ve told him a few times to break off a few acres of his and let it go wild, plant habitat stuff in it. He screws up his face and acts like I slapped him, in his mind he just has to plant every inch of ground..I think he is funny, he must think I’m crazy.

All one has to do is look at ground this time of year, is there good cover, is there food. If not no wildlife or not much, thats all it takes.

To me that is why sites like this are so important to help change that mentality and to help teach others how to manage for wildlife sharing ideas. And it is just fun and addictive!

And all this habitat destruction is being funded by the Gov't, yet they are also paying for habitat creation. What a waste of money.

And all this habitat destruction is being funded by the Gov't, yet they are also paying for habitat creation. What a waste of money.

The goal of a bureaucracy is not to find solutions, but to preserve and expand the bureaucracy itself.

Been awhile since I updated this thread with everything that has gone on in the past year at this farm.
For anyone that doesn’t know, we built a barn house and moved out to this farm in early summer.

So with that said….my boys were absolutely positive with us putting the pond in and building/ moving out here the hunting was compromised.

Didn’t end up being the case at all. Our yard with pond is around four acres and the woods is eight, we have literally had deer in our yard every week since we moved in. Mostly mornings and evenings but some during the day. Also see bunnies squirrels coon and all kinds of cool birds. The wife and I love to nature watch and having our dog Darcy running around doesn’t seem to bother, the coming and going mowing fishing swimming family events and very loud talking wife have not seemed to effect the wildlife one bit.

So on with the update;
All through the summer we had a doe with twins around, see them almost every evening, we put those off limits to the boys because they are almost like pets. I was seeing a lot of rubs around the outside of woods (I don’t go in it in summer) and a nice scrape line down the west side this fall.

The doe with twins last night
IMG_6565.jpeg

Coming home one evening right before dark in October I was just about 100 yards from my driveway when a really nice buck trotted across road in front of me going towards the river to the north. He was REALLY nice, I’ve shot a 159 7/8” and he was easily bigger. I watched him go north for at least a minute..he was way past his ears wide with sweet mass.
That got my attention, I saw him again a couple weeks earlier one morning for ten seconds back by the bee hives. Saw lots of huge tracks around yard along woods and around pond that I assumed were his. I’m not hung up on horns like a lot of guys but that one was pretty cool. I started calling him Big Boy.

To the south of me about a mile I found out a couple groups of guys were hunting along a small creek and one of them showed me pics of the buck and asked if I’d seen him. Honestly I didn’t like any of that even though I know none of the deer are “mine”. I am snobbish being a landowner while they are all townies and I admit it.

Soooo…early November

I go out early it was just starting to get light. I only had a couple hundred yard walk to my bucket in the weeds on SE corner of little woods. Only spot I had to hunt with south west wind.

I looped way out in bean stubble to east about half way there this big bodied deer comes angling out to me in the half dark and stops maybe 40 yards in front of me. Still just to dark to see good but legal, couldn’t really tell buck or big doe…I was loaded and aiming with red dots on but couldn’t make it out good enough.
This Mexican stand off goes on for like two minutes and xbow is gaining weight.
Finally it trots off to south.
Still not sure exactly what it was because of poor light.

Then after I’m on corner sitting for twenty minutes this big button we have been seeing comes out next to me maybe ten feet away. Couple minutes after that all hell broke loose with deer chasing all over in the bean stubble.

Obviously a doe that was in heat was stirring everybody up, deer started chasing out of the south side of our woods. A few fawns a big doe a forky and one decent buck that was good enough for me. The bigger buck just kept chasing everyone and grunting, it went on for 15-20 minutes. One time he got within 50-60 yards of me but was moving. Every one of the others came right over by me off course but not the one I wanted.
Then whichever one was close to being in heat ran into the woods and the seven other deer followed her in. They ran around grunting like pigs breaking branches and making all kinds of noise. After ten minutes or so they settled down and it got quiet. I sat for another hour nothing. The bucket was getting very uncomfortable to say the least. I sat it out as long as my back could take then looped way out around back to the house.

A couple pics from the rodeo off vids I sent to my boys.
IMG_6558.jpegIMG_6560.jpeg
IMG_6551.png
All literally in my back yard.

I poked my head out a few times during the day and every time I heard them in there. I waited for the wind shift I knew was happening in the afternoon switching NE so I could get up in the locust tree and hopefully get a shot. I knew this was one of those days we wait all year for.

Went back out at 4:00 looped way west to sw corner stand in locust tree like a ghost ninja. Started seeing does and fawns almost immediately. A few does came in from woods to south and it started getting noisy with chasing and grunting in the woods.

I had three does behind me ten yards feeding in corn stubble to west and a few out along s edge of woods sixty yards in bean stubble feeding towards me. And a button right under me.
Deer were chasing around in woods I saw the nice buck from that morning through brush, I was totally fine with him. I got ready with the new Tenpoint xbow I had switched to this year.
They chased and grunted in woods awhile then this big doe comes out west side of woods cutting behind me…with a huge buck..Big Boy twice her body size right on her ass. I ranged him at forty yards bleated at him he was still moving and I shot.

Arrow spun in like a crashing fighter plane and hit ground ten yards before it got to him! I’ve got lighted nocks.

I was like WTF?
Doe and big buck went to woods to south west 300 yards away.
Then buck from this morning squirts out s end and trots off to creek to south.
Then deer start pouring out of our woods to neighbors woods behind ours to south w. A seven point I hadn’t seen came out right under me.

I look at xbow and string is off the cams? Fk Fk Fk. Of all the times for that to happen.
it didn’t really blow up but sounded very weird when I shot.

I had no idea that the big buck was in there.

Craziest day I’ve ever had bow hunting. Saw over twenty deer I think. A lot of them were no doubt repeat sightings that day. Maybe the best day ever in a stand and I didn’t shoot a deer….but what a show!

IMG_6562.jpeg
IMG_6569.jpeg

Took xbow to cabelas next day, they took it all apart inspected it good put it back together and it is tip top again. I must have gotten a twig or weed between cam and cable somehow. It could have been worse I guess.

Talked with the farmer next door neighbor who does not hunt last week. He said he had just seen the big buck earlier in the week right behind our woods…so he made it through gun and is still around!
So that was my big excitement hunting this fall.

I’ll drop a few landscape pics I’ve taken this fall.

Sunrise
IMG_6549.jpeg

IMG_6637.jpeg

The sunsets here are spectacular

IMG_6548.png

IMG_6555.jpeg

Edit 1/5/24 added todays sunrise

Last edited:
That pond looks awesome. Are those reeds or wild rice starting to grow around the edges or is that something else? I'm sure you mentioned it before, but is there an outlet that prevents the pond from overflowing? The water level looks about perfect.

That pond looks awesome. Are those reeds or wild rice starting to grow around the edges or is that something else? I'm sure you mentioned it before, but is there an outlet that prevents the pond from overflowing? The water level looks about perfect.

Thanks
The stuff sticking up is just some dead weed tops that were growing when we topped the pond off with the hydrant, bringing it up 5’ this summer.
Yes, we have a 4” overflow pipe in the SW corner that goes to drain tile.
IMG_6639.jpeg
IMG_6638.jpeg

Thinking of adding a key way this summer in the lowest edge also this summer when I get a load of stone.
I’ve got a waterway that runs between pond and woods that would work good to run off excess water if we ever get a few days of really heavy rain when pond is full if drain gets overwhelmed or plugged.

Edit for pics 1/5/24

Last edited: