The Big Bream Small Pond

SoSalty

Yearling... With promise
Years back, living in the Bakersfield desert, I looked forward to retiring in Alabama, and putting in a pond. The 5 acres we bought is beautiful, 560' of creek front all to ourselves. But alas, putting a pond in on Sand Mtn became my challenge, only 1 suitable location and limited to 0.2ac in size. While passing the last 2 yrs waiting for my wife's retirement, I had to get a 150 gal rubber maid and a single 4 in Shellcracker, we named 'El Gordo.' Piled rocks in 1 end and stocked it with: grass shrimp, crawfish, snails, rosy fat heads, and red worms (in the bottom sand). He was hand fed live crickets, blood worms, meal worms, and everything nice, no expense spared. The water was filtered, and his tank cleaned as needed.

El Gordo spent much of his time nose down to the white sand or hunted along the rock pile. Every few weeks I'd think the crawfish were gone, then find the remaining skeleton or tail of an eaten 2-3" craw. We'd rarely see the lone grass shrimp. At 8" rosies, the orange fathead minnows, were added. It'd take him hours to work the 3"+ rosies down his throat. The small minnows seemed to avoid getting eaten. He hesitated taking pellets at 1st before developing a taste for them. A local pet store let me clean their aquarians of snails. El Gordo would give 'em a study, suck 'em in, work his phrengals, and then spit the shells 8" out in front of him. Cool. He'd clean the tank of dozens of snails in about a day. At 18 mo he measured 11" and 1 lb. We placed him in a large clear water body where he swam out 5 ft, watched us several minutes, and drifted away. Cleaning the tank, I was blown away, maybe 100 red worms, 200 craws, and 300 grass shrimp, that I assumed learned to hide from the 'hunter' and had remained unseen.

Attachments

• downstream 005.jpg
    downstream 005.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 74
  • ShellCracker 004.jpg
    ShellCracker 004.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Actually, this is a shellcracker from the pond several years later. El Gordo was 11 & 1/4" and had a bright red/orange gill flap. I've only a pic of him when he was smaller.

Attachments

• ShellCracker 004.jpg
    ShellCracker 004.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 57
  • el'Gordo.jpg
    el'Gordo.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
We had hybrid bluegill in a pond,I don't know what they weighed but we caught them on 8 inch plastic worms while bass fishing.Then the drought happened.Wheres picture of your pond

We used to catch a few Bullheads out of one of our farm ponds every Spring and put them in a stock tank over the Summer. We would fish the stock tank when no one would drive us to the pond. Catch and release only. LOL!

Yep, got behind on follow up post/pics. I thought there wouldn't be much clay and budgeted for 40 trucks of it. We hit a band of grey clay 3-6ft so hauled in only 20 truck loads. At 7ft a spring appeared in spite of it being a dry dry August. Hoping for 6ft we stopped, packed a ft back in and added 2 trucks of lime sand. The orginal 6 4" shellcrackers were from an aquarium. I placed 'em in the shallows, they stayed. I fingered 'em out a little further, they swam back to me. Several generations later the grandfish still follow me when I'm on the bank, the guy with food. The gambusia, mosquito minnow would've made it into the pond but I jumpstarted 'em with a bag of 50. (opps, ran into the uploaded image is too big)

Attachments

• TheHole.jpg
    TheHole.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 3clays.jpg
    3clays.jpg
    523.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 2limeStone.jpg
    2limeStone.jpg
    421.3 KB · Views: 24
  • PetFish.jpg
    PetFish.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 23
  • MosquitoMinnows.jpg
    MosquitoMinnows.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 22
  • EmeraldPond.jpg
    EmeraldPond.jpg
    700.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
The original pond came in at 6500sq.ft. about 0.15 acre. Seemed like too much water washed out the fertility in the winter/spring, then it'd get low in the summer. We put in a 170 ft well to help. After burning out several pumps we learned that the well only recharged at a quart a minute, we needed closer to 10 gal a minute. I'm able to pump 300 gal a day into the pond which helps, but only a little. In Oct 2022 I rented a dozer and pushed it out to 8800sq.ft about 0.2 acre. I fought algae mats for years. The algae would start growing in March when the water was in the 50's, too cold to fertilize an' trigger a phytoplankton bloom that would've blocked the sun an' held the algae in check. Once the water warmed to 65 and I could fertilize, it had already taken over and would've been pointless to fertilize. Last summer, 2023, we raised 3 Muscovy ducklings. This spring we noticed no algae from the bank, where it would 1st develop mats, out to 2 ft depth. Our 3 big dipping ducks were eating enough to make it manageable ! Rather than 80% of our pond being chocked with mats, it's a healthy 10%. with the minnows and grass shrimp thriving in the patches. I now fertilize to keep the water at 21-33" visibility.
p1 3 hens p2 cat 'n duck hunting voles p3 Jan '24 view
20240209_163817.jpgBuzzLuroyMole.jpgIsland&Pen Nests.jpg
We added a lone Channel cat and black Crappie to gorge on the Shellcracker fry. On sunny spring days, I count the 8-12" dark spots, Shellcrackers sunning just below the surface, about 22 big bream. Pellet training, though it cost bout $90, was intuitive & easy. (did you spot the deer in Emerald Pond pic in post above? use +magnify)

Last edited:
Well, why a Shellcracker pond? The pond forage base starts with phytoplankton, tiny plants and algae that turns your pond green. Then minnows, small bait fish, bream, then largemouth bass, usually, and of course there lots more that gets eaten in your pond but you get the idea. At every level, from small to large, it takes 5 to 10 lbs of small forage, for the next bigger fish to gain a pound. So, if LM bass isn't your top predator and you've eliminated a level in the phytoplankton to apex fish ladder, you've got more lbs. of sport fish. Also, if there aren't many species of sport fish, they aren't in competition with each other. Blue gill may feed at various depths and near the surface. Shellcrackers, as a rule, hunt the floor of your pond, at various depths, but not often on the surface. The spawn: Bluegill have a rolling spawn thruout the growing season. Miss a season of culling out those guys and you have a pond choke full of Bluegill. The Shellcracker spawns usually once in May and lays fewer eggs. Population management may be primarily a lone predator fish, channel cat, a bass, or a crappie. Lastly, Shellcrackers grow bigger than their Bill Gill cousins. Check out state records. Shellcracker records, with few exceptions top Bluegill in states that have them. If fact, Shellcracker records rival the Black Crappie records. Taste: Shellcrackers and Blue Gill are both close second to the Crappie.

https://www.gameandfishmag.com/editorial/whats-behind-record-shellcracker-lake-havasu/357417

What about pellet training? Blue Gill go nuts when the feeder goes off and Shellcrackers don't, right? The Shellcracker is easy to pellet train. In this video, he misstates, 'fish trained Shellcrackers' intended to say 'pellet trained Shellcracker.'

Several years and several fish feeders later, I've settled on a Moultrie directional feeder (spray painted). It was 1st used as a minnow feeder. For these Shellcrackers, the 2 gal. bucket needs refilling every 2 weeks. Algae would pop up in mats where it sprayed pellets. I've reduced the setting to throw for 4 seconds at 7am and 7:30pm and use Optimal Bluegill pellets for bream. There're no problems with algae now.
Optimal Bluegill
Some recommend feeding so that the fish feed for 5 min. Some say 10min. When this 2 min vid starts, it's on its' last second and the Shellcrackers are hitting the surface. They slow down after 1 min. At 6min there were 3 surface strikes, then even less. At 15min there were 2 more strikes and the last at 18min. Once trained, the young fish learn to take pellets by watching the older fish.
HungryShellcrackers

Attachments

• Optimal.jpg
    Optimal.jpg
    547.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Oh happy day. There was an 11" Shelllcracker after only 3 yrs. I'd recognize 1, maybe a spot near the fin plus it's mannerisms, but it'd disappear. Possibly cranes or snapping turtle. Around yr 6, there were numerous 10.5" to 11". Yesterday I was fishing with worms hoping to get, what should be a 20"+ channel cat, out. [The water remains brown and at 18" visibility. I suspect the channel cat contributes to the dingy water.] Time for him to go but I knew the Shellcrackers would hit in rapid fashion. The 1st was 9.5" but had lost its' tail. The next 2 were 10.5", 1 swallowed the big bass hook! The 4th fought the good fight before getting off near the bank. All hit in less than 30 sec. 1 never made it to the bottom with the string headed sideways right after it sank below the surface. Then this guy. I was using 12lb line but it still took longer than a moment to land him: finally; 12 inches! (with tail pinched in) Three yrs ago, we tried a LM bass who devasted the ponds' aquatic life. No bullfrog sounds, no fathead minnows, or much of anything swimming about. My wife and I caught bream one after another noting that our bass was watching us. At Shellcracker #14 I switched to a bass rig, bam, he hit 1st cast; set the hook, got him in close, pulled up and he spit the hook landing on the pond edge. 1 flounce and he was in 2" water and mud. I dove and manhandled him up on the bank. He measured 18 inches and 4 lbs. The catfish remains in the pond till another day.

Attachments

• TypicalRedear.jpg
    TypicalRedear.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 12inches1.3lb.jpg
    12inches1.3lb.jpg
    794.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 2024Pond.jpg
    2024Pond.jpg
    808.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited: