Tar River SAYA-507 No Till Drill

I was reading through all the posts earlier learning experiences on your saya's (appreciate all the info) and saw some of you were putting filler in for your smaller seeds like rape brassicas turnips. Has anyone been able to plant these seeds without filler? One of my plots I plant a blend similar to maximum 6 acres at 9lbs/acre. Woulda rather not use filler. Thanks

Has anyone had to move the 3pt hitch brackets in order to hook up to their tractor?
I did when I realigned everything for 7 1/2" spacing. No problem.

I was reading through all the posts earlier learning experiences on your saya's (appreciate all the info) and saw some of you were putting filler in for your smaller seeds like rape brassicas turnips. Has anyone been able to plant these seeds without filler? One of my plots I plant a blend similar to maximum 6 acres at 9lbs/acre. Woulda rather not use filler. Thanks
I believe I could get my drill's small seed box to get as low as 5 to 8 lbs / acre. I have not tried this low.....but I believe it could. I think I planted as low as 12 or 15# in the rear box......but will have to check my old notes. I did not use any fillers......but normally mix enough seeds to get a rate as said. (red and white clovers, PTT, DER, Forage collards)

Appreciate it. Just like to see how they are holding up after a couple years and I'll be selling some seeders and planters to get one.

Has anyone had to move the 3pt hitch brackets in order to hook up to their tractor?

Yep mine were upside down. I redid everything with my hookup. I also had to make to gap for the top link wider and now it accommodates a Quicktach hitch well.

I calibrated my 507 yesterday to 6 different seeds and seed mixes.

Corn, Green Cover MILPA Mix, 2 other mixes similar to Summer or Pollinator type mixes, and then Radishes and Big Rock Switchgrass.

I havent done all the math yet but its looking like I can get the Switchgrass as low as about 4.6 lbs/ac in the small seed box at a .5 setting. Radishes were the same. I can see where Turnips, Collards, or Rape would be significantly higher... but I didnt try them. If I do, they will be in a mix with Radish and/or Rye.

In the Mixes I tested with 10-15 species, I was surprised how well the seeds stayed mixed even with a lot of clovers and brassicas. That small seed did not all fall to the bottom. These were tested in the large seed box with the agitator.

Im feeling good about it. I just need some dry ground to go play in.
EFEE081C-2651-4EF5-A335-B30E2928195F.jpeg40483CB7-7339-4635-9C4D-28047069908E.jpegBCE4ABF3-8CCF-4F27-916C-5454070A940C.jpeg

I calibrated my 507 yesterday to 6 different seeds and seed mixes.

Corn, Green Cover MILPA Mix, 2 other mixes similar to Summer or Pollinator type mixes, and then Radishes and Big Rock Switchgrass.

I havent done all the math yet but its looking like I can get the Switchgrass as low as about 4.6 lbs/ac in the small seed box at a .5 setting. Radishes were the same. I can see where Turnips, Collards, or Rape would be significantly higher... but I didnt try them. If I do, they will be in a mix with Radish and/or Rye.

In the Mixes I tested with 10-15 species, I was surprised how well the seeds stayed mixed even with a lot of clovers and brassicas. That small seed did not all fall to the bottom. These were tested in the large seed box with the agitator.

Im feeling good about it. I just need some dry ground to go play in.
View attachment 43197View attachment 43198View attachment 43199
Thanks for that. Appreciate it! I'll be picking asking a lot more questions. The local dealer's next available is November. Well see when I get one. I'll be done planting next weekend for spring but if I can get one before fall I will. Just want to make sure there is enough time to calibrate and go over everything. From what everyone has been saying seems they need to be gone over with fine tooth comb.

Swiffy, how old is your drill? How many acres you think you put on it?

Swiffy, how old is your drill? How many acres you think you put on it?
Its brand new, ZERO

I will have a lot of different seeds through it by Sept. 15 this year. Right now we are flooded so I'm just sitting and waiting to actually plant with it.

Its brand new, ZERO

I will have a lot of different seeds through it by Sept. 15 this year. Right now we are flooded so I'm just sitting and waiting to actually plant with it.
Sounds good. Let me know if you have any reoccurring problems. Hope the soil drains out for ya.

Not sure where everyone is from on here. Anyone with experience using these drills in pa or ny soil?

I am in south central PA and just used my 507 for the first time. I have to say it went fairly well. It was my first time planting this section of land (1.5 acres) so I went with some buckwheat in one area and in another area (1/2 acre) I planted a wildlife buffet (beans, sunflowner, millet, etc) from the NWTF. Some observations from my first time use:
1. Had 2 seed tubes fall out (1 upper and I lower)
2. I used the large seed bin and had one section put out more seed than the other ones (they were all filled to pretty much the same level)
3. Had a cotter pin fall out where the spring attaches to the disc, making that row pretty much useless
4. Had a bolt fall out of the gear box cover

I added about 150 lbs to the front and that seemed to help pretty much at getting the buckwheat into the ground. For the wildlife buffet, the beans did not go in very far. I think next time I will add some weight to the back along with the front. I have a couple more areas to plant this spring and then in the fall. After that we will see how it holds up. As I said in an earlier post, my unit had a lot of things not assembled very well from the factory and my dealer did basically nothing but sell it to me the way they received it.

Attachments

• No Till 3.jpg
    No Till 3.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 17
  • No Till 2.jpg
    No Till 2.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 17
  • No Till 1.jpg
    No Till 1.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 17
I am in south central PA and just used my 507 for the first time. I have to say it went fairly well. It was my first time planting this section of land (1.5 acres) so I went with some buckwheat in one area and in another area (1/2 acre) I planted a wildlife buffet (beans, sunflowner, millet, etc) from the NWTF. Some observations from my first time use:
1. Had 2 seed tubes fall out (1 upper and I lower)
2. I used the large seed bin and had one section put out more seed than the other ones (they were all filled to pretty much the same level)
3. Had a cotter pin fall out where the spring attaches to the disc, making that row pretty much useless
4. Had a bolt fall out of the gear box cover

I added about 150 lbs to the front and that seemed to help pretty much at getting the buckwheat into the ground. For the wildlife buffet, the beans did not go in very far. I think next time I will add some weight to the back along with the front. I have a couple more areas to plant this spring and then in the fall. After that we will see how it holds up. As I said in an earlier post, my unit had a lot of things not assembled very well from the factory and my dealer did basically nothing but sell it to me the way they received it.
Thanks for update on that goldenlab. Nothing ever seems to come built complete anymore from any manufacturer. Was it a pa dealer?

Thanks for update on that goldenlab. Nothing ever seems to come built complete anymore from any manufacturer. Was it a pa dealer?
Yes, it was, they sold 6 of these units in less than 3 days. Even shipped one to Idaho, $1500 shipping cost.

^^. Regarding the assembly.....I would strongly encourage anyone buying one of these to spend some time getting these drills set up properly......and checking as many fasteners and chain alignments and more. Tighten set screws on sprockets, grease those end caps to carefully fill with grease (too much and you will blow the cap off). Buy some chain repair links and maybe some hoses (note to myself on these hoses). I think you could easily spend a day to get this done.....if your a putz like me. ;)

One thing that took some time on my drill was getting the seed cups uniform across the drill. Front and rear........so they dispense equal amounts of seed. I think this is a "one and done" operation.....but it is somewhat of a crucial step in my opinion.....and those little clamps are kinda funky to work with. Also......my seed cups would blow perhaps 1/3 of the seed out of the gap in the sight window on the small seed box.....which I noticed when calibrating. I used some super tape to close the slot in the mating parts for a solution.

Perhaps that blowing the seeds out of the seed cup is not a bad thing for small seeds as I feel the small seeds are getting buried too deeply when dropped in between the openers as this product comes from the factory. I did post (elsewhere) my solution to dropping the seeds behind the openers....as found on other drills. However being able to calibrate is lost if you are scattering 1/3 the small seeds out of the intended system. Anyone else notice this??

Would be nice if TAR RIVER would come up with a set up checklist for this product - if they are not going to assemble properly. It does take some time.....but it also makes you familiar with the machine. Many of the dealers selling these drills do not have a clue about how to set up a grain drill......nor do they want to do that work on a $5000 product "for free".

Having said the above....these drills represent allot of bang for the buck and seem ideal for the food plotters and low use farmers among us. If I were a commercial user or larger scale operator.....I would buy a better machine. I think I can be happy with this product knowing the above shortcomings.

Last edited:
^^. Regarding the assembly.....I would strongly encourage anyone buying one of these to spend some time getting these drills set up properly......and checking as many fasteners and chain alignments and more. Tighten set screws on sprockets, grease those end caps to carefully fill with grease (too much and you will blow the cap off). Buy some chain repair links and maybe some hoses (note to myself on these hoses). I think you could easily spend a day to get this done.....if your a putz like me. ;)

One thing that took some time on my drill was getting the seed cups uniform across the drill. Front and rear........so they dispense equal amounts of seed. I think this is a "one and done" operation.....but it is somewhat of a crucial step in my opinion.....and those little clamps are kinda funky to work with. Also......my seed cups would blow perhaps 1/3 of the seed out of the gap in the sight window on the small seed box.....which I noticed when calibrating. I used some super tape to close the slot in the mating parts for a solution.

Perhaps that blowing the seeds out of the seed cup is not a bad thing for small seeds as I feel the small seeds are getting buried too deeply when dropped in between the openers as this product comes from the factory. I did post (elsewhere) my solution to dropping the seeds behind the openers....as found on other drills. However being able to calibrate is lost if you are scattering 1/3 the small seeds out of the intended system. Anyone else notice this??

Would be nice if TAR RIVER would come up with a set up checklist for this product - if they are not going to assemble properly. It does take some time.....but it also makes you familiar with the machine. Many of the dealers selling these drills do not have a clue about how to set up a grain drill......nor do they want to do that work on a $5000 product "for free".

Having said the above....these drills represent allot of bang for the buck and seem ideal for the food plotters and low use farmers among us. If I were a commercial user or larger scale operator.....I would buy a better machine. I think I can be happy with this product knowing the above shortcomings.
Thanks for the heads up. I saw your setup to drop small seeds behind openers. That's a better set up. Old farmer told me years ago depth the seed only needs to go as deep as it is thick

My old 8 ft pull behind brillion drops the seeds between two cultipacked. The tubes are cast and at the bottom has a spill guard so when the seeds hit it they kinda shoot off random instead of a row.

That's prolly my only draw back on the saya 507. Getting one that's gonna need a bunch of stuff done.

I stopped at Zimmerman's other day and one there waiting for customer pick up. Everything looked good. Coulter's lined up with the discs. I didn't have time crawl all around it.

Thanks everyone for all the advice and experience. I appreciate it.

Couple points to sumarize what I have learned about this product.

I just ordered a set of drag chains from agrisupply. I have a 505 so I need 7 @ $8 each and shipping and tax. Gonna drill a hole in each of those flaps and attach. That should keep the flaps down and make a better covering effect on my small seeds. Worth the price I think. This was gleaned from Facebook.

There is a SAYA 505 and 507 owner group on Facebook. Seems like a good group for this drill and a few of us are coming up with some decent tips and mods. I am "stuck" in a hospital for a few days.....so I use my downtime to study such stuff......and make a little mayhem.

I am sold on dispensing the small seed box contents in the disturbed soil behind the openers....much like Great Plains does it.....and then covering those seeds via basket and flaps and chains below explained.

Another guy is contemplating using some Deere 71 planter packing wheels...in lieu of that rolling basket.....as they are nearly the same diameter he says. Hmmmm.......if I had heavier soils I may try this too......but I will wait and see someone else's efforts.

I do wish that BELCO (importer) would make a setup checklist and a video on adjusting for depth......the material furnished is "weak". I'm doing OK with mine....but I feel it will do better with the affordable mods. I'd sure like to see this product develop into what it can be.

My 2 cents. I like that we are talking about ways of improving on this product for food plotter purposes (the biggest market for this product IMO) and have hopes that these efforts are heard by the distributor or perhaps some other enterprising firm.

Sorry about being stuck in hospital.

Chains will.help. You ever see back of a jd no till instead of wheels they use metal. Looks like bent fingers. That closes up the trench very well and doesn't pack it to bad if soil is moist. I'm heading to cabin this weekend. I'll get picture of my 2 row no till on the back for some ideas. I'll see.if the farmer has his no till out when I get seed. He has the bent metal fingers on his (can't think of the name)

If you could eliminate basket. Replace with cultipacker and then hook chain up to drive wheel. One on each side and keep on the outside of the drill that might work as well.

If you could eliminate basket. Replace with cultipacker and then hook chain up to drive wheel. One on each side and keep on the outside of the drill that might work as well.
Yep....I think there are several better solutions than that rolling basket for the USA market. ...tho....I suppose it is low cost. Gotta wonder whom 'they'' originally designed this drill for (what world market)?? My thoughts are possibly India, China, or Russian or ??? Also wonder if there are any repair parts in a warehouse for some of that specialized stuff.....such as seed cups, opener blades or bearings, or that rolling basket if you should tear it up.

Have not heard of anyone breaking anything substantial....knock on wood.