Taking the kids

huntall

5 year old buck +
Youth rifle season is open this weekend in Mississippi and I'm taking my 2 boys in the morning. My oldest says he is waiting on a buck. My middle son is going to sit with me and he will be after a doe or nice buck. I can't wait! Just like waiting on Christmas for me. I think I get just as excited as they do when they get a deer.
It's always exciting when the kids go and always love taking them.

I agree huntall, I've been fortunate enough to be taking Jake hunting for 3 seasons now. Both in WI and MO (younger hunters allowed in MO). I look more forward to hunting with him than I do hunting myself. He is young enough that we basically only hunt out of enclosed blinds, so its a lot "easier" hunting with him than it is by myself (hang on tree stand). I love them both, but have so much fun with him, I would give up the other if I had to.

-John

2 weeks after I closed on my property it was Wi. youth gun hunt. I took my Son who I believe was 12 at the time. He, of course took his time in the morning and we were "late" getting to the stand. I of course explained that it's important to get in the stand before dark, but we'll hunt anyway. In the stand about 7:15 am, 7:25 am a basket 8 point walks 20 yards in front of us, he shoots it in the heart, and we're headed home at about 7:45 with his first deer. My son looks at me and says, "Dad....maybe you'd have better luck deer hunting if you slept later in the morning". Hunting with the kids is by far the most enjoyment I've ever had hunting.

Last edited:
My son turned 10 this year and we hunted the youth season. He was able to shoot a small 5pt and was very excited!

I laughed when he said, "my heart's racing and I have to catch my breath."

It was the best moment I've ever had in the deer woods.

Youth rifle season is open this weekend in Mississippi and I'm taking my 2 boys in the morning. My oldest says he is waiting on a buck. My middle son is going to sit with me and he will be after a doe or nice buck. I can't wait! Just like waiting on Christmas for me. I think I get just as excited as they do when they get a deer.
Good luck, some of my best memories are hunting with my 3 boys on their first hunts.

Good luck tomorrow morning.

Good luck tomorrow morning.
Thanks...they got home from school this evening and the first thing they said was that they are very excited about hunting in the morning.

Temperature supposed to be around 36 degrees in the morning so for the south that's pretty cool temps and good hunting whether forcast Saturday .should be nice!

It was a nice morning, but we didn't see any deer at all.

That evening we saw a 6 point and a fawn and my son was so excited about watching the 6 point for about ten minutes. It's mature bucks only on my lease with my buddy. He was so excited he was shaking for a few minutes! He really has not just sit and watch them like we did.

He is 12 and has killed 3 deer, but lost interest in deer hunting and has not killed one in probably 3 years. , but now he is really excited about deer hunting and already planning our Thanksgiving holiday hunting.lol
He always liked small game hunting but not as much sitting in a deer stand
I did not pressure him to go because I didn't want to burn him out or push him away from deer hunting.

I really hope he can get one this year!

Reactions: gwm
Make those memories boys as those days don't last as long as you hope.

I took my boy on his first and I remember his first kill better than my own - many moons ago.
tom first deer.jpg
I was with him when he took this (his second buck) - he had commented that he wanted a bigger buck than the one he shot the previous year.
Tom 100.jpg
Then in 2013 he took my advice and then gave the "old man" a run for his money with this buck. He claimed, "he was right where you said he would be dad".
tom 2.jpg
He is now 19 and not such a little boy anymore. We hunted quite a bit together as you can see and made lots of memories, but last year I missed it as he was off to college. It sort of took something away without him. Well he was back home this weekend and we went out just like old times. He even asked me if I wanted to hunt together......like old times. He tagged a doe. Just like old times....
tom 2015 doe.jpg
Now another journey begins - I'm taking my youngest - this is from back in the youth season in september. We went out saturday evening. Still no luck on that first deer for her ......YET!
Emma.jpg

Don't limit them to deer hunting either - take them fishing, turkey hunting or even mushroom hunting - just get them outside!!!!!

J-bird...I love it! That's awesome.
Yep, we hit the squirrel hunting and coon trapping real good after deer season and we do it as a group. Me and my three boys set traps and squirrel hunt for like three weekends in a row. Even cook on the open fire.
They love it!

I see the time passing too fast! My oldest is 15 and my youngest is 7.
Seems just yesterday my oldest was sitting in my lap in order to shoot because he was so small and couldn't reach window of the blind.

He is now 19 and not such a little boy anymore. We hunted quite a bit together as you can see and made lots of memories, but last year I missed it as he was off to college. It sort of took something away without him. Well he was back home this weekend and we went out just like old times. He even asked me if I wanted to hunt together......like old times. He tagged a doe. Just like old times....
View attachment 8047

Gulp, I'm in the heat of "it doesn't last forever". And never forget we are making memories when we are out together. Somehow "just like old times" will be fun too, I just hope it doesn't get here too soon.

Now another journey begins - I'm taking my youngest - this is from back in the youth season in september. We went out saturday evening. Still no luck on that first deer for her ......YET!
View attachment 8050

You are fortunate, I only get one chance... But I'm making the most of it!

-John

This is my son at 5 the same year we adopted him from Ukraine.
He tagged along on some squirrel and deer hunts that yr.
.this is I think his 2nd deer at 7.

Another

Last edited:
Another

(damnit, I keep posting as UFI - sorry about that).

-John

This is from this past summer
.15 yr old now

I have 4 kids total and they all have taken their own path. I simply open the door to the outdoors and they choose for themselves. My boy took to deer hunting and even got me into waterfowling for a short time. My oldest and middle daughters don't like the "mess" of deer hunting - because that is part of it from my perspective. However they love to fish - and that's just fine with me. The youngest likes to deer hunt. They all like to fish. I felt it was my responsibility to at least expose them to the outdoors and the aspects of conservation and having a respect of the outdoors and yes even that mother nature can be cruel. Hell we as a family even went as far as adopting 2 squirrels in our home earlier this year and they have been released to the wild. The outdoors teaches kids so much about themselves and about life.

As far as the old days......remember those that took you and take the chance to thank them and take them out.......just like the good old days......you will make new memories and you will both have a better appreciation for the other.

This is my son at 5 the same year we adopted him from Ukraine.
He tagged along on some squirrel and deer hunts that yr.
[\QUOTE]

Very cool huntall!

Here is my son and I at the patriotic park in Keiv in 2001 and again in 2012.

Going back for a visit is pretty moving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sorry here are the pics.

5e6d6bac0fa307e55b35a2a2fd200338.jpg
BC91D9ED-4884-40F0-AB73-2581CF55312C.jpeg

f23715ea8372fa161583b9f0b4407c3e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: