Tactacam gps?

4wanderingeyes

5 year old buck +
Does anyone know if Tactacam cameras have gps? Or if their pictures have gps coordinates embedded in them? I seem to have misplaced a camera. I am still getting pictures from it, I just don’t remember where I put it, I know it’s on a trail, I just don’t know which one.

The pictures don’t look familiar.
FFADD787-BA58-418A-A404-64206A316571.png

Send me the original photo you have via email (jon@deerlab.com) and I can provide the EXIF data within the photo.

Send me the original photo you have via email (jon@deerlab.com) and I can provide the EXIF data within the photo.
Thank you! I hope the sent photo through the app is good enough, because I cant get the the sd card, if I cant find the camera.

I just sent you an email. I'm unfortunately not able to retrieve anything from the photo. Most cellular cams strip the EXIF data out of their thumbnails so they can save data. I know Spartan's 2021 cameras keep the EXIF in the thumbnail photos, but I don't know of others.

I just sent you an email. I'm unfortunately not able to retrieve anything from the photo. Most cellular cams strip the EXIF data out of their thumbnails so they can save data. I know Spartan's 2021 cameras keep the EXIF in the thumbnail photos, but I don't know of others.

I figured as much, thank you for trying. I am sure after the season, I will walk around and find it. This isnt the first time this has happened to me. But I guess last time, I found it, and didnt realize it was missing until I found it. Batteries were dead in it, and it must have been there for a couple years.

The problem is, I wander around in the winter and find decent trails in the snow, then put cameras on them. I really need to start a map and mark where I put them.

I hear you! When you start running a lot of cameras, it's sometimes hard to keep up with where they are. If interested, DeerLab has a tool for that. Here's a screenshot.

If you move trail cameras around, you can also change the status of the locations. The gray icons below show that a camera used to be in that location. We save all the data for that camera location so when you want to use it again, you can just change the status. If interested, you can test our trail camera software out for free for 30-days. It provides all the features but limits the number of photos you can upload.

deerlab-trail-camera-locations.png

I figured as much, thank you for trying. I am sure after the season, I will walk around and find it. This isnt the first time this has happened to me. But I guess last time, I found it, and didnt realize it was missing until I found it. Batteries were dead in it, and it must have been there for a couple years.

The problem is, I wander around in the winter and find decent trails in the snow, then put cameras on them. I really need to start a map and mark where I put them.
Haha. Not laughing at you. Feeling your pain. I've done the same thing. Once forgot I put one up at my sister's house because she had something getting in her trash and wanted to see if it was a bear. Completely forgot it was there for months because it was over summer. Didn't realize it was missing until got time to start putting cameras out for deer. Once briefly lost my best camera too. Same thing as you, couldn't find the trail I put it on.

Don't know anything about that cam, but jhead is a free small program that will let you extract any EXIF data embedded in your pictures.

Don't know anything about that cam, but jhead is a free small program that will let you extract any EXIF data embedded in your pictures.
Isn't it possible to just open up the image in windows or mac and go to properties to see the EXIF data?

On Macs and PC's you can see some of this, but it depends. Some camera manufacturers purposely leave out data. Most cell cam manufacturers stip the EXIF data out of thumbnails completely. If the photo was edited at all, this can also affect the data.

Isn't it possible to just open up the image in windows or mac and go to properties to see the EXIF data?
The last I messed with it was under Win 7. I don't know if things have changed since. Win 7 reads a few of the fixed fields and you can see them under file properties. but not many. EXiF is quite flexible and many camera makers customize it. I know there are some .net services that can read EXIF data. I built a web site in ASP.net and was able to decode the EXIF data when I upload a picture. For local decoding on my PC, I found jhead useful. It is just an exe that runs under a DOS command window at the command line. I put it in a Bat file and piped the output to a text file. I then read the text file and update my picture database automatically.

There are also web sites where you can upload your picture and they will decode it, but you are giving them your picture...

Thanks,

Jack

Not sure about your particular model, but I have a new XB and in the app there is a map button that shows me exactly where the camera is.