T-budding on older trees?

sandbur

5 year old buck +
I think stu has done some of this in the past.

I have a lot of seedling dolgos and other seedling crabs that I have grown form seed. They are 4-12 feet tall and the oldest are starting to bear.
Some of the dolgos are doing well in wetter locations.

Could I t-bud into the trunk at 4-6 foot height and try to grow a limb from my favorite late baring crabs?

Would I want to t-bud into growth from the last two or three years?

Any hints on how to grow a large sized limb when starting this process? Spacing, location,

Must have been Ben. Maybe I'll try it.

Is there any difference if the T-bud is on the side or top of the limb?

Are you saying do not put a spur bearing on a tip bearing and vice versa? I would not know one from the other anyway.

I always tried to put the new bud on top of the limb.

Yes, that was the advice (as I recall it). A person would need to do some research on tip vs. spur bearing varieties...or just roll the dice and see what happens(which is what I tend to do) :cool:

Sounds like what I will do, or twist somebodies arm to bring his knife over and help!

I looked at a few trees last night, like the Colombia (garden ) crab. How do I judge when the buds on the proposed bud stick are mature enough to be t-budded?

The garden crab seems to have lots of water sprouts this year. I am thinking it might be a good year for spring grafting. I have not had much for scion on that tree.

I would say you are better off using a leaf-bud from earlier in the growing season. My trees are still actively growing here. If you use a bud from a very recently developed leaf your success is not as good. At least everything I have read and my personal experience this year would indicate so. I have found some varities develop those latent buds much quicker than others. If you want to speed up latent bud development pinch back the tip of the branch. The buds closest to the tip will develop quicker.

IMG_8491 2.jpg The one tree I was thinking about has only put on 4-5 inches of growth. It has never produced much growth with any diameter for scion.

I was looking at the new growth on it today, comparing the recent buds from this year with the first ones from this year. Not much difference that I could tell much of a bud (I assume that is the tiny structure between the leaf stem and the branch.)

Stu- I was looking at the tree I call Yellow Dog if you remember it.

Yes if you pull the existing leaf stem back from the branch you should be able to see a developing bud at the intersection of the leaf stem and branch.

Yes if you pull the existing leaf stem back from the branch you should be able to see a developing bud at the intersection of the leaf stem and branch.
It was a very tiny bud on that tree.

Sandbur if you are talking about the Yellow Dog tree I bench grafted a couple scions that you sent me. I think I only have one survivor and it is a relatively slow grower, less growth than most of my other varities. You could try T-budding a couple buds now and then wait and try a couple more later. I have read it takes approximately 21 days for a bud to callus to the stock. So say 21 days before the normal first frost date you could try your second attempt.

Sandbur if you are talking about the Yellow Dog tree I bench grafted a couple scions that you sent me. I think I only have one survivor and it is a relatively slow grower, less growth than most of my other varities. You could try T-budding a couple buds now and then wait and try a couple more later. I have read it takes approximately 21 days for a bud to callus to the stock. So say 21 days before the normal first frost date you could try your second attempt.

That is the tree and the growth on it has been slow.

Thank you for the suggestion.

I had forgotten that I sent you some scion.