Switchgrass in the spring

tbarile

5 year old buck +
I saw a video by Chris Bracket where he is planting in the spring and having great success. Anyone try this method and found that it works? I would love to turn an old field that is just grass/weeds into switchgrass but don't really want to go a fall with bare ground from burning it off for a frost seed.

I had switchgrass seed in the CRP mix I planted and it grew fine planting it in the spring with the rest of the seeds and an oat nurse crop.

I saw a video by Chris Bracket where he is planting in the spring and having great success. Anyone try this method and found that it works? I would love to turn an old field that is just grass/weeds into switchgrass but don't really want to go a fall with bare ground from burning it off for a frost I’ve d
I’ve posted several ways to do it on here without having bare ground.

I wouldn’t recommend cutting corners.

You're going to go a year, maybe two with bare or mostly bare ground no matter how you slice it. The switch won't provide appreciable cover in year 1 and if you control the weeds/grasses ahead of time it will need to be bare or close to.

Best way, IMO, is to plant soybeans and spray weed this year and switchgrass this upcoming winter or spring.

I nuked a small area with glyphosate earlier this Spring and then no-tilled switch into as a test...... we will see. I will hit the broadleaf weeds and with 2-4D if need be and mow it in July once.

I'm planning to plant switch this spring still, but a bit later. The area was soybeans last year so the weeds and grasses are controlled fairly well, but I am waiting for the initial green up through May and will spray gly again and plant early June.. Some others on here had good results with later plantings so that's my plan, I want to make sure the weeds and grasses a killed well.