SW Indiana - This looks very much like EHD...

Good news we should all be getting some rain.....hopefully this isn't too little too late!!!

Just report them and encourage others to report them as well. We can't expect the DNR to do anything about it if they don't know!

What are you wanting them to do about it?

I am in Clark county and reports are everywhere of EHD. I have not walked my creeks yet but did find this buck Saturday while spraying plots. Smell lead me right to him.

Lots of guys around me have found lots of dead deer. I would say it’s gonna be a pretty bad outbreak for parts of the state. I had 4 mature bucks on cam this summer and have no pics of them in over a month. Assume they have died.
Sorry to see/hear it. Maybe the other ones are still alive and will show back up for you.

I’m bracing myself for what I may very well have to see this year.

We have at least been getting some decent rain this way. Maybe it will help some.

What are you wanting them to do about it?
Not meaning they can stop the EHD....meaning they can hopefully use the data to impact the bonus antlerless limits either yet this year or next. In an effort to ensure we pull back on the antlerless harvest in those hard hit areas.

Not meaning they can stop the EHD....meaning they can hopefully use the data to impact the bonus antlerless limits either yet this year or next. In an effort to ensure we pull back on the antlerless harvest in those hard hit areas.

Got it. Did you see they dropped the bonus antlerless again in several counties? Getting most every county out of the late antlerless season.

Got it. Did you see they dropped the bonus antlerless again in several counties? Getting most every county out of the late antlerless season.
I saw that 18 counties are still 4's....

Did you notice that Stuben is a 1 and Switzerland is a 2? These used to be the top harvest counties in the state! My concern or question is, just how far did we overstep in the harvest department to get to those numbers??? We are talking about counties that took 4,000 deer a year at times....

Before this EHD I would have said Clark still needed to be at least a 4 and honestly I liked having the ability to manage my doe population as I see fit under an 8. Some years I shoot zero, some years I shoot a lot.
With that being said, I am still seeing quite a few doe/fawn on camera. But I would not be against the DNR jumping in and reducing the bonus number in my county this year. There has been a pretty bad outbreak and the population is obviously taken a pretty good hit. Regardless of what the DNR does I know that zero doe will be harvest on my 180 acres and approximately 600 acres to my North this year so our number should jump back pretty quick.

The tally for my area of woods is up to 10. I was given a link by the DNR to continue adding the count into a tracker page they have initiated. It looks like my county is one of the highest in number of dead deer findings, top three, in the state thus far.

You guys been getting much of the rain I have been seeing in Decatur and Bartholomew counties???? Raining here in Walesboro right now.

I posted a sick deer in another thread. I showed a picture to my neighbor. He showed his friend who is a CO. CO showed it to somebody in Indy. They issued my neighbor a permit to kill it for testing. Haven't seen it since.

The tally for my area of woods is up to 10. I was given a link by the DNR to continue adding the count into a tracker page they have initiated. It looks like my county is one of the worst, top three, in the state thus far.

Y
You guys been getting much of the rain I have been seeing in Decatur and Bartholomew counties???? Raining here in Walesboro right now.

Yes, I hope it helps!

I posted a sick deer in another thread. I showed a picture to my neighbor. He showed his friend who is a CO. CO showed it to somebody in Indy. They issued my neighbor a permit to kill it for testing. Haven't seen it since.
Hopefully it's EHD and not CWD! CWD would create a much larger panic and response.

Haven’t found anymore so that’s good. I noticed they added the 10 I told them about to the map and we are now 3rd highest reporting county in the state.

My dad texted me earlier and told me that a DNR truck was parked near our road, I assume checking for deer.

Had a really low plane fly over the ponds last week about five times in a row.

So it looks like they are giving it some of their time and effort.

^^^^^ glad to hear it appears they are at least looking. Sucks to loose deer that way, but not much we can really do about it.

Going down to Owen Co to check my property tomorrow. I have a sick feeling. While I still have a couple big bucks following their routines on the cameras there were some I had been seeing regularly which have disappeared, and overall deer traffic is clearly down. I have a creek and a small pond on the property to check...

Going down to Owen Co to check my property tomorrow. I have a sick feeling. While I still have a couple big bucks following their routines on the cameras there were some I had been seeing regularly which have disappeared, and overall deer traffic is clearly down. I have a creek and a small pond on the property to check...

Well, I covered the property pretty well, with the exception of the pond as it's remote and hard to access. No dead deer and no smell so that's a good thing...very dry. Never seen the stream so slow, it was almost stagnant.

Well, I covered the property pretty well, with the exception of the pond as it's remote and hard to access. No dead deer and no smell so that's a good thing...very dry. Never seen the stream so slow, it was almost stagnant.
I’m so glad to hear that! For what it’s worth, most losses here locally have been does. I’m not sure if it is coincidence or if herds are affected differently in regards to gender.

However, I still have not seen many mature bucks this summer, which is unusual for this area, so they might have been bedding and expired somewhere else. I’ll update the thread as deer season starts and I start collecting trail camera info.