Summer Plot Pics

kskid

5 year old buck +
I commented in another thread that my experience with sunflowers has been different from many on the forum. The deer only lightly browsed my acre of sunflowers. I thought I'd post some pics. These are the flowers yesterday:
Plot Sunflowers 4 email.jpg

Here's the rest of the plot last week. Sunflowers on the left, winter wheat in the center and oats on the right. Ladino clover with white oak & serviceberry seedlings borders the plot.
Plot Southeast 2 email.jpg

Broadcast all the seed. Planning to start mowing for doves in late August & reseed for fall in Sept.

Nice looking plots! Even if the deer aren't browsing the sunflowers it looks like good cover/screening.

Thanks for the comments!

What part of the country are you in?

Hi Mo, NE Kansas (Lawrence/Topeka area)

Even if the deer aren't browsing the sunflowers it looks like good cover/screening.

Hi Scott, Didn't plan on it, but I had the same thought when I saw how tall they grew (my first time trying sunflowers). Also didn't have a clue as to the reaction they'd get from family and friends who visit. People just go crazy over them, especially the females :D

6-24-14 plot 2.JPG 6-24-14 plot.JPG If they are like the deer on our new property they have to learn that they are edible... Deer up there have never seen clover, sunflowers, soybeans, or corn. They are just now starting to nibble on some of this stuff and I am starting to get good pictures of the local deer. I am getting ready to broadcast groundhog radishes, PTT, and Rape into 1/2 the plot and mow over that area around August 1st and pray for rain so they will have some other stuff they will have to learn to eat...

Wish I could grow sunflowers like the ones you have. My wife loves them! Even in mixes mine tend to get browsed off. I may try again next year but need a better plan. Thanks for sharing

View attachment 1224 View attachment 1223 I am getting ready to broadcast groundhog radishes, PTT, and Rape ...

Okie, could be they didn't know what to do with them, but a few on the edges were nipped. Also could be neighboring ag fields. I had similar experience with PTT. They looked like a salad bar all summer - the deer never touched them. I may get to find out if it's a familiarity thing - I have a feeling the sunflowers will be a permanent addition to the food plot just because they're such a hit with visitors.

Wish I could grow sunflowers like the ones you have. My wife loves them! Even in mixes mine tend to get browsed off. I may try again next year but need a better plan. Thanks for sharing

Thanks hut. I wish I had some secret to share with you. Deer density is high, so I really didn't expect so many to make it. Going to try some AWP this fall