Sugar beets and "drilling". Also just a final OK on my plan

Rally1148

5 year old buck +
Hey all,

So I've been thinking about what to do with my one food plot. Right now the plan is to convert the one acre into about half an acre of native prairie, with some rows of hazels and DCO's. The other half will be a perennial mix of clover, chicory and burnet. I planted rye/triticale and brassicas in the fall. As of now the plan is to spray once in late May, and then another 2-3 times in June. I'll plant buckwheat in July and then mow and plant a mix of the usual brassica/clover/rye as well as the the chicory, all sorts of white clovers and then burnett. In the spring I'll no-till drill the native prairie into the one half of the plot.

1. Does this plan sound good?

2. I'm planning on "drilling" an annual into this perennial plot. I've been thinking a brassica, rye mix with possible some EW or WGF sorghum in the summer. Someone on the other site says they "drill" into their perennial plots. By this, do they mean they no-till? Do I need a no-till to do this? Or would a normal grain drill work? I have access to both.

3. Now... my final question is with regards to substituting sugar beets into this drilling. I know that timeline wise I'd need to be putting them in much earlier. But have any of you successfully grown non-RR beets? I could also just drill brassicas and EW or WGF in July, which is why I'm thinking about subbing the non-RR beets in. Is it even worth it?

Thanks everyone!!!

First off, I love the native prairie plan. Have you ever planted burnet before? I'm not sure what the others were thinking as far as a drill, but I would recommend a no-till through a mixed perennial planting if you have one. Depending on your soil type and amount of soil moisture at planting, you might get away with a grain drill. Then again, it could just as easily turn out to be a sparsely planted failure. Sugar beets need to be planted as a monoculture to achieve good growth, they struggle with competition. I think they would be a waste. Brassica and WGF might be the better choice.

Are you making a harvest plot or a major food source for the deer?

Is 1/2 acre of feed enough for your deer and their survival through a winter?

Are you making a harvest plot or a major food source for the deer?

Is 1/2 acre of feed enough for your deer and their survival through a winter?

Harvest plot. There is enough winter food in the ag fields to get the majority of them, although I'm definitely increasing woody browse in the future. There are two 10+ acre corn fields (one will be alfalfa next year) within a few hundred yards of this plot. Within a square mile, there has to be over 150 acres of corn scattered about. About half is cut clean to the ground, and the rest is just picked.

First off, I love the native prairie plan. Have you ever planted burnet before? I'm not sure what the others were thinking as far as a drill, but I would recommend a no-till through a mixed perennial planting if you have one. Depending on your soil type and amount of soil moisture at planting, you might get away with a grain drill. Then again, it could just as easily turn out to be a sparsely planted failure. Sugar beets need to be planted as a monoculture to achieve good growth, they struggle with competition. I think they would be a waste. Brassica and WGF might be the better choice.

It looks like I'll just stick with brassicas. I had a feeling that they'd be easier to grow. I've never planted burnet, but I figured that it's worth a go. It's drought tolerant once established (like chicory) and stays green under the snow. My main goal is to just get to the point where I have the absolute minimal inputs. I figure This is a pretty sustainable plan, provided I overseed with the same clover and chicory every few years. Now that I'm thinking about it. I might do the EW brassicas in July, and then in late August do Peas and rye. The peas and rye are great for bow hunting, and the brassicas will be good for rifle, plus the EW will add some cover. Heck, I might be able to just broadcast the peas and rye before a rain and get some to pop up.

I think burnet is a great addition, just be aware that up to 50% of the seed can be hard seed and not germinate immediately, so it is recommended to adjust your planting rates toward the heavy side. Peas will not do nearly as well broadcast on top of the ground as rye, they like to be covered by a bit of dirt for best germination, might want to error towards the higher side on seeding rates with the peas as well. I do like the plan, but why EW and not something more palatable to the deer like WGF? I have never planted EW, but from my understanding it is not a preferred deer food, even though they will eat it occasionally.

I think burnet is a great addition, just be aware that up to 50% of the seed can be hard seed and not germinate immediately, so it is recommended to adjust your planting rates toward the heavy side. Peas will not do nearly as well broadcast on top of the ground as rye, they like to be covered by a bit of dirt for best germination, might want to error towards the higher side on seeding rates with the peas as well. I do like the plan, but why EW and not something more palatable to the deer like WGF? I have never planted EW, but from my understanding it is not a preferred deer food, even though they will eat it occasionally.

Because I was being a dummy! I meant WGF! I'm thinking if we have a 6 row planter, I'd put rows 2 &5 in the WGF and the others in the brassicas.