Success! First Buck! New York Youth Weekend

Spike_Horn_Shooter

5 year old buck +
My 13 year old Son’s first buck. 4 point. Estimate 125 ish and 1.5 years old.

Shot on Monday Oct 14 at around 430, at about 100 yards, with Remington 700 308. He hunting with his grandfather (my father) all weekend. He has shot 4 does before this, so he was holding out for something a bit bigger this year. We discussed this and I tried not to put pressure on him about bigger deer. He has an itchy trigger finger and doesn’t like to let them walk!

He hunted hard all weekend, seeing a bunch of deer on Saturday in our bean/brassica/wheat+rye plots; but decided to wait for a bigger buck. Saturday was a bust as they sat on a hidden plot of brassica, rye and almost completely eaten out peas. They saw deer on neighbors, but nothing at our place.

Today was cold and rainy, but cleared up around 3. I figured deer would be headed to food shortly after the rain stopped so I suggested they sit the beans. They sat from about 8am this morning until 430. That plot busts deer out if you enter in the dark.

About the kids hunting career so far. We didn’t have land his first couple years hunting, so we pounded the snot out of public land - swamps, mountains, kayaking in, snowstorms and rain - the whole nine yards. He shot two does doing that, and boy did he earn them.

The life of a teen is busy with sports and teenage boy stuff, so we get limited time now to hunt. This was the 1st time hunting seriously with his grandfather and this is the 1st deer ever his grandfather has been able to accompany another during harvest.

Attachments

• IMG_7149.jpeg
    IMG_7149.jpeg
    747.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_7151.jpeg
    IMG_7151.jpeg
    676.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_7157.jpeg
    IMG_7157.jpeg
    665.6 KB · Views: 25
Congrats he will remember forever

I think you are doing it right sir. Congrats

I bet GrandPa enjoyed it just as much as your son.

Nice work!

Excellent!