Storing rootstock grafts

Cuervo

5 year old buck +
I think I'm going to try grafting this year, since obtaining scions will be easy. I am a bit confused on exactly what to do with the completed grafted rootstock/scion once it's completed and before it's warm enough to plant? Can some of you let me know what you do?
Also, recommendations on rootstock for zone 4/5, Waushaura county sand? I've read here and elsewhere, and to be honest the plethora of choices makes my decision difficult. I know some of you are close to my area, maybe you could share what you've had success with.

Thanks,

Ideally you complete your grafts about 16-21 days before your last frost.

Make your grafts and keep them in an area where the temp is in the 50-60 degree range for 16-21 days to allow callus to begin forming. At that time you can plant them outdoors if threat of a frost has passed. Otherwise return them to refrigeration to slow bud break until they can be planted.

Sounds like B118 would be your rootstock of choice.

Last edited:
I would recommend you follow CrazyED's advice to the letter. Through his own trial and error and advice from others, he has tweaked this process on that type of Central Sands soil to about as bullet-proof as it can get considering the circumstances.