stock tank watering holes - stupid question

bjseiler

5 year old buck +
My miniature goats know how to drink water out of an above ground bucket. Cattle clearly understand stock water tanks at windmills. Deer obviously eat out of feeders that don't look natural at all.

I'm missing something really obvious. Why do people go through the back breaking effort of digging a stock tank into the ground to make it look like some kind of natural watering hole? Wouldn't the deer drink it all the same if you just put it there and didn't dig it into a hole?

Obvious/stupid followup question to my own question..... If feeding deer pellets is baiting (against the law here during the season) then why isn't giving them artificial water?

I put two water holes in a few years ago. I dug them into areas where there was natural slope and runoff to keep them filled. I carried water in to fill them, and even in the really dry times like we’re having right now I’ve never had to refill them.

Obvious/stupid followup question to my own question..... If feeding deer pellets is baiting (against the law here during the season) then why isn't giving them artificial water?

It could be. In Wisconsin anything a deer eats, that is artificially placed, is considered bait. If you go onto a oak ridge and rake the acorns into a pile it's illegal.

IF you have CWD in your area your state may have specific rules for that area.

My best 3 bucks all showed up at my cattle tank. I don't have cattle but that's what it is. And the doe and small bucks are there all the time. I thought about digging it in but they don't seem to mind so I don't bother. The metal thing is an old antenna. The board and sticks I was using either rotted or wouldn't stay.
b4cb0a5afccf5bfc340350206ed57b44.jpg
9354abaf8f262601f2c9de103dbf6469.jpg
90da20eecd044248615b0869c436585a.jpg

My best 3 bucks all showed up at my cattle tank. I don't have cattle but that's what it is. And the doe and small bucks are there all the time. I thought about digging it in but they don't seem to mind so I don't bother. The metal thing is an old antenna. The board and sticks I was using either rotted or wouldn't stay.
b4cb0a5afccf5bfc340350206ed57b44.jpg
9354abaf8f262601f2c9de103dbf6469.jpg
90da20eecd044248615b0869c436585a.jpg
What is the antenna for?

I don’t see an advantage to digging in. I’ve seen thousands of pictures at natural water puddles and also at stock tanks. Makes no difference. I will say an advantage of just sitting on the ground is you can dump it out and refresh it if it really gets bad water in it.

What is the antenna for?
For critters to get out if they fall in. Last year had an opossum fall in at some point when the water was really low and we didn't get over there for several weeks and it died in the tank and ruined all the water. Took weeks to get the deer to go back to it after. So now if they fall in they can get out.

Just a consideration... but what about that old buck that lives 7 miles who is randomly passing through during the rut? He's never drank from a tank before and circles around anything out of place.

I watched a buck last year stop at a small pinch point, look it over, then circle around it. There was no reason to not pass through it, no stands, no tree trimming, no valid reason other than it obviously didn't feel right to him.

Just a consideration... but what about that old buck that lives 7 miles who is randomly passing through during the rut? He's never drank from a tank before and circles around anything out of place.

I watched a buck last year stop at a small pinch point, look it over, then circle around it. There was no reason to not pass through it, no stands, no tree trimming, no valid reason other than it obviously didn't feel right to him.
Possible. But only 1 of those bucks were familiar the other 2 I'd never seen before. Not to mention who knows what rattles through a deer brain

Possible. But only 1 of those bucks were familiar the other 2 I'd never seen before. Not to mention who knows what rattles through a deer brain

True, but is there a buck you didn't get a pic of hanging out of sight? Maybe that 220 non-typical you've always dreamed of? :)

I have to admit that I hunt in this manner, maybe to obsession. I don't put cameras up in hunting areas, don't hunt plots, and seldom hunt from stands anymore. I do a lot (or don't do a lot) in an effort minimize disturbance. With that said I don't think anyone is claiming that I'm a good hunter.

In the north burying the tank helps take advantage of the snow runoff in the spring. Free water :)

For critters to get out if they fall in. Last year had an opossum fall in at some point when the water was really low and we didn't get over there for several weeks and it died in the tank and ruined all the water. Took weeks to get the deer to go back to it after. So now if they fall in they can get out.

Imperative to do so .........field mice soup not particularly palatable

bill

I would have never thought about that. Seems like if something were to fall in they'd just climb back out. Guess not!

I would have never thought about that. Seems like if something were to fall in they'd just climb back out. Guess not!
Smooth aluminum walls are not climb friendly. When the water is high it's not an issue but sometimes like in the last month when it's really hot we don't go and refill the tank because we have a windmill fed pond that always has water in it. so when it gets to about 6-8 inches there's two- two and a half foot of smooth wall that they can't get out of.

True, but is there a buck you didn't get a pic of hanging out of sight? Maybe that 220 non-typical you've always dreamed of? :)

I have to admit that I hunt in this manner, maybe to obsession. I don't put cameras up in hunting areas, don't hunt plots, and seldom hunt from stands anymore. I do a lot (or don't do a lot) in an effort minimize disturbance. With that said I don't think anyone is claiming that I'm a good hunter.
That's the best part of hunting you don't have to be awesome to have fun and it takes all kinds to make the world turn. Last year I missed one of those deer and we went back I don't remember when because we had some stand damage and we jumped him I never saw him again but that's the breaks still had a blast after putting meat in the freezer but having fun that's all that matters to me. Giants are a bonus, time with friends and family is more important to me.