Stock Market is the bottom in?

I picked up META (facebook) on August 26th. I expect there could be some more pain to come. However, I think META is positioned very well for what is coming next. That 14 p/e is reminding me of Apple in 2012 or 2013 when their p/e hit 8. If they go below $120, I'd probably double up. Personally, I cannot stand the company, but these guys have 100% uninterrupted access to every single thought, word, location, purchase, desire, and feeling of anyone under the age of 35. There are very rich entities on earth that want into the heads of these young people, and META has a lock on it.

I caught a great podcast a few weeks back (I can't find it now) about the state of information gathering with devices and apps, and it's crazy how much info is being sucked up, who's paying big bucks for it, what they're doing with it now, and what they could do with it in the future.

View attachment 45818

Apples new privacy policy change really hurt FB. Since apple is getting into the digital advertisements business I’m sure it wasn’t for the good of the people but apple itself but regardless it hurt FB. Not saying FB won’t be fine down the road just pointing it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just bought some GLD and I'm cashing out my real estate.

Edited to add: my real estate is single family dwellings.

Last edited:
I will start buying NEM next week.

I really want to pull the trigger on ZIM, but I feel like there is something I'm missing. I'm not long on shipping anyway, so I'm stuck on the fence for now.

I think I miss understood how dividends work. I know i did.

I did not know the dividend is taken off the value of the stock……

and then……

the problem with ZIM is the Israel dividend tax of 25%.

so in essence you pay 25% tax on 25% of the value of the stock each quarter

I will let you know if I get taxed on the divedend funds that went to automatically buying the stock.

I am not as optimistic about ZIM as I once was.

and then……

I will let you know if I get taxed on the divedend funds that went to automatically buying the stock.

Technically that’s true about the dividend getting shaved off the stock price. That’s a bigger issue with high yield stocks. Lower yielding don’t seem to be affected by that.

I’m generally very risk averse to high yield stocks anyway. Seems like the higher the yield, the more likely I was to lose money. That being said, I do have a few that are big payers, but I make an exception for those.

ENB and EPD. I’m a little squeamish on Enbridge, but they seem to be pretty slow moving.

and then……

My understanding is that you get that tax back by submitting a form. The US has agreements with many countries to aboid double taxation.

My understanding is that you get that tax back by submitting a form. The US has agreements with many countries to aboid double taxation.
My accountant handles that.

but like I say ZIM makes no sense

so I am doubting I know more than the street

My accountant handles that.

but like I say ZIM makes no sense

so I am doubting I know more than the street

ZIM seems to make perfect sense. It seems to be a solid bet for current and future shipping revenue. What makes no sense is the share price based on the fundamentals. That's why I feel like I'm missing something.

84% dividend yield. I’ve never heard of that before

84% dividend yield. I’ve never heard of that before

Are you looking at Forward Dividend yield? I think they take the latest dividend, assume it will be the same for the next 12 months and then calculate the yield as a percentage of the current stock price. If I'm a company expecting that I can make the same kind of profit on my product or service going forward, I'm probably going to use cash to expand or modernize. On the other hand, if I see my industry profits contracting in the future, I may want to return that money to stock holders in a dividend or stock repurchase.

If I had to guess, I'd presume the company is bracing for lower profit margins. Just a guess...

I think ZIM and another DANAOS are two of the bigger shipping companies.

I own both.

The Chinese lockdowns etc I think are causing problems.

However no one is currently building any more ships so it should be smoother sailing for profits after the war is over.

ZIM charges tax on dividends even when buying stock with them.

Just reinvest the dividend back in.

Are you looking at Forward Dividend yield? I think they take the latest dividend, assume it will be the same for the next 12 months and then calculate the yield as a percentage of the current stock price. If I'm a company expecting that I can make the same kind of profit on my product or service going forward, I'm probably going to use cash to expand or modernize. On the other hand, if I see my industry profits contracting in the future, I may want to return that money to stock holders in a dividend or stock repurchase.

If I had to guess, I'd presume the company is bracing for lower profit margins. Just a guess...

That's not how dividend yield is calculated. Forward dividend yield is a projection over the next 12 months. Trailing is over the previous 12 months. The last dividend alone does not allow you to calculate either of these.

ZIM charges tax on dividends even when buying stock with them.

What do you mean by this? ZIM does not have the authority to levy taxes.

I just bought a little TBT. Not sure how long I will hold this one. Probably not very long.

I still like UAN fertilizer. The last quarter distribution was $10.05 a share . Small company with a majority ownership by Carl Icahn

Currently priced @ $131 a share

That's not how dividend yield is calculated. Forward dividend yield is a projection over the next 12 months. Trailing is over the previous 12 months. The last dividend alone does not allow you to calculate either of these.
I believe it is. Forward assumes past dividend performance going forward for 1 year.

I believe it is. Forward assumes past dividend performance going forward for 1 year.

No, it doesn't. It's It's a projection based on what the company believes it will pay over the next year. That is to say, future return on your investment. That's why it is of interest to potential investors.