Staking systems

Corey Peterson

5 year old buck +
Wondering what everybody is using for a tree staking system I currently have 3' hardwood grade stakes which were a short term solution but I'd like to replace them in the spring. I'm thinking of going with 10' electrical conduit, and was wondering what size people are using (3/4" , 1" ect) or if there are other solutions out there.

I used 10', 1/2 inch electrical conduit buried about 1.5' in the ground about 4" from the central leader, and then loosely attach the leader to the conduit (leaving plenty of room to sway but not break) with Aglok.

1/2 inch conduit has worked fine for me, but I don't think 3/4 inch would be overkill.

Are you just providing support until the tree gets some roots established, to guide the central leader or long term tree support? It also depends to a certain degree on how much wind your trees are exposed to. 1/2" conduit is fine for initial root establishment and some leader support. I would not use it if you think your trees need long term support.

I'm running M7, and G222 rootstock so I'll be leaving the stake in place for long term support.

I'm running M7, and G222 rootstock so I'll be leaving the stake in place for long term support.
Ah, well I guess my recommendation was for larger, better anchored rootstocks (e.g., mm.111 and b.118). I don't have any experience with either M7 or G222.

What spacing did you plant? Many growers grow on a simple trellis similar this. Every tree staked w/ electrical conduit and a one top wire trellis for more stability. Lots of M26 trees are grown like this up here on 8-10' spacing.

DSCN0414.JPG

I'm running 12' spacing on my trees. I'm assuming the bottom trellis line is for the irrigation pipe? I like the looks of this how hard is it to setup the irrigation lines?

Wondering what everybody is using for a tree staking system I currently have 3' hardwood grade stakes which were a short term solution but I'd like to replace them in the spring. I'm thinking of going with 10' electrical conduit, and was wondering what size people are using (3/4" , 1" ect) or if there are other solutions out there.
There is a company in PA that specializes in t posts for fruit trees that is not far from me and for the life of me I cant find the company on the net. I was thinking about going down there and getting 100 or more for my new trees which are on dwarf rootstocks. I hear Maya talk about a simple trellis but for me its not simple if you cant do it alone hehe I hope to find it when I go home and will pass along the website

M7 doesn't need support when its grown...Least from all things I've read.

M7 doesn't need support when its grown...Least from all things I've read.
M7 rootstock
  • Mature height: Medium, 9ft-12ft
  • Spacing: 10ft-12ft
  • Bearing age: 3 years
  • Staking: Recommended in lighter soils
Suitable forms: Bush, Centre leader / spindlebush, Large cordons, Fan or espalier

One of the original Malling series rootstocks, widely planted in North America, and noticeably more vigorous than M26.

From Orange Pippin website

Most sources only suggest staking m7 while its growing initially not when its fully developed, that was my only point. Its self standing when fully grown.

I have 6 trees on m7 but they are NO where near full grown so I cannot attest to any of this yet, lol.

From what I've read G222 and M7 can be free standing but they benefit from staking. I like the trellis system with irrigation that Maya posted - looks like some version of that will be my spring project. Now I have to figure out all the piece parts needed, and how to build it!

From what I've read G222 and M7 can be free standing but they benefit from staking. I like the trellis system with irrigation that Maya posted - looks like some version of that will be my spring project. Now I have to figure out all the piece parts needed, and how to build it!
That's where I gave up Corey LOL There are a few places that specialize in trellis supplies and Maya or Turkey can guide you to those. I know one is near Finger Lakes NY and one might be in MA

This is why I wish I had a friend that lived around here that had an established orchard, needed help something. I'd love to help put up a trellis, trim treres, any of that stuff.

This is why I wish I had a friend that lived around here that had an established orchard, needed help something. I'd love to help put up a trellis, trim treres, any of that stuff.
I hear you! Its definitely easier to learn watching it in person! Luckily the UNH cooperative extension does a bunch of seminars on grafting and pruning but I haven't seen anything on trellis or irrigation as of yet maybe I'll give them a call and see if they have any info on it.

Aren't trellis systems used for full dwarf trees that cannot support its own wait/fruit load. I thought thats why they wire the branches and that. Someone on one of these forums has one cuz i've seen pics and its quite impressive.

I'm running 12' spacing on my trees. I'm assuming the bottom trellis line is for the irrigation pipe? I like the looks of this how hard is it to setup the irrigation lines?

Nice Corey. I've got a few 7's stuck in between some 111's just to fill space. Yes you can free stand, probably by the 5th leaf, give or take depending on soil, light etc.

Elec. conduit works pretty well, but you asked for more ideas, so I just throw that out there. Many orchards do use them on dwarfing and smaller semi's like m26. It may be overkill for you but it's done quite often and if you think you need better support than just a stake, it will certainly do a good job. Yes the bottom line is for drip irrigation. The emitters will clog up if left on the ground.

I'm over by Rutland Vt. if you are ever over this way, give me a shout. We'll give you a tour of the orchards so you can get some ideas.

All our m26 are on .75 dia. conduit , recent plantings all on bud 9 , 4 feet between trees we still use a stake at planting but have went to bamboo with high tensile wire when the bamboo rots off in about 4 years the tree is trained and supported fully via tensile wire .

the apple stake you reference is best angle tree stakes . we don't like t posts too much friction where the tree rubs

All our m26 are on .75 dia. conduit , recent plantings all on bud 9 , 4 feet between trees we still use a stake at planting but have went to bamboo with high tensile wire when the bamboo rots off in about 4 years the tree is trained and supported fully via tensile wire .

the apple stake you reference is best angle tree stakes . we don't like t posts too much friction where the tree rubs
Ahhhh yes best angle. I think I may use them anyway as I have a problem getting that conduit deep enough in my rocky soil. Thanks for the Best Angle reminder