St Lawrence Nursery 2023 Trees

I have a friend that wants to buy a couple plumb and apple trees for personal consumption, not wildlife. Any suggestions? Doesn't have to be from SLN.

Last edited:
I have a friend that wants to buy a couple plumb and apple trees for personal consumption, not wildlife. Any suggestions? Doesn't have to be from SLN.

What zone is he in?

ACN (Adams County Nursery - Pa.) has many kinds of apple and other fruit trees. Apple, apricot, plum, pear, peach, nectarine, and plum hybrids (pluots). TOP-NOTCH nursery too. Not affiliated .......... but a satisfied customer. Great trees.

Trouble Trees,

SLN is a decent nursery. However, they're 100% antonovka bareroots on their trees. Looking like 8-9 years before they produce. I tend to believe you should buy from a nursery thats close to your climate. Folks know 1 million times more than I do about trees on here. B118 is a much quicker tree and M111 is too. Folks complain about slow growth of anty trees pretty often.

Thought I could cheat the system and buy cheapie bareroots. Shoulda done my homework better........ Grafting them out as well as putting other types in this fall / spring.

My Tree collection is a mix. Enjoy some as soon as I can, and have very hardy large trees later on too. Turkey Creek and whitetail crabapples both have B118 trees and regular eating trees too. Liberty and Enterprise are proclaimed to be the least maintenance. No spray mininal pruning. Somehwat later droping too, so it kind of a good blanace between 2 and 4 legged critters. Both nurseries have a good selection of eating apples. Gala, golden delicious, and so on.

I'd advise your buddy to buy 3 trees of varying kinds, many need cross polinating. IF you got other apple or crabapple in the area, may not need to plant more than 1 then.

Fedco trees have excellent descriptions of what each variety does, and relative bloom times. Should get a buddy tree with similar or wide range of bloom time. Golden delicious is a common polinator tree in apple orchards, so maybe that and another kind.

Trouble Trees,

SLN is a decent nursery. However, they're 100% antonovka bareroots on their trees. Looking like 8-9 years before they produce. I tend to believe you should buy from a nursery thats close to your climate. Folks know 1 million times more than I do about trees on here. B118 is a much quicker tree and M111 is too. Folks complain about slow growth of anty trees pretty often.

Thought I could cheat the system and buy cheapie bareroots. Shoulda done my homework better........ Grafting them out as well as putting other types in this fall / spring.

My Tree collection is a mix. Enjoy some as soon as I can, and have very hardy large trees later on too. Turkey Creek and whitetail crabapples both have B118 trees and regular eating trees too. Liberty and Enterprise are proclaimed to be the least maintenance. No spray mininal pruning. Somehwat later droping too, so it kind of a good blanace between 2 and 4 legged critters. Both nurseries have a good selection of eating apples. Gala, golden delicious, and so on.

I'd advise your buddy to buy 3 trees of varying kinds, many need cross polinating. IF you got other apple or crabapple in the area, may not need to plant more than 1 then.

Fedco trees have excellent descriptions of what each variety does, and relative bloom times. Should get a buddy tree with similar or wide range of bloom time. Golden delicious is a common polinator tree in apple orchards, so maybe that and another kind.
My 2020 SLN trees produced this year. Others have been in years 4-5. Only tree that hasn't produced yet is a 2016 Violi's Hanging. Great looking tree though. I mainly have Winter Wildlife, All-Winter Hangover, Trailman, and Violi's Hanging from them, fwiw.

Plums: Opal, Reine Claude d'Oullins, Green Gage, Mirabelle de Nancy, Mallard.

Mirabelle is a culinary plum, but it is absolutely worth having. The jams, tarts, etc. that you can make from it are amazing. The rest are great right off the tree.

I see they have Minnesota 1734 apple trees for sale this year. Has anyone on this forum tried growing this tree? I cant find any information online about its disease resistance.

I see they have Minnesota 1734 apple trees for sale this year. Has anyone on this forum tried growing this tree? I cant find any information online about its disease resistance.
I have two MN 1734's planted in MN and they are doing well. I believe they are about 8 years old now and one had a moderate crop this year despite being planted in only partial sun. The tree has above average growth and the fruit hangs on the tree well into the fall.

I've never sprayed this tree and it is growing right next to some red cedars and it has never had any disease issues of any kind. The fruit doesn't seem to be bothered by insects as much as other varieties.

My 2020 SLN trees produced this year. Others have been in years 4-5. Only tree that hasn't produced yet is a 2016 Violi's Hanging. Great looking tree though. I mainly have Winter Wildlife, All-Winter Hangover, Trailman, and Violi's Hanging from them, fwiw.
Thats good. The nursery extras I planted did great. The nursery had toringo crabapple and old orchard cuttings dipped into the ground. So the nurseyr literally got watered daily. I'd say they got an extra foot. When my trees came, I couldn't get my rototiller into gear. After I planted the permanent location trees, I had a bit of time to fuss with it. I rototilled, peat moss, lime, fertilized, and put some manure from the store in there. They also got miracle grow atleast weekly.

I get mixed opinions how to prep the area for your new trees. Amend the soil vs don't add anything, Turn up the soil vs leave it undistrurbed. Seemed the more I did to it, the better it was in my moderate clay soil with ok pH.

Thats good. The nursery extras I planted did great. The nursery had toringo crabapple and old orchard cuttings dipped into the ground. So the nurseyr literally got watered daily. I'd say they got an extra foot. When my trees came, I couldn't get my rototiller into gear. After I planted the permanent location trees, I had a bit of time to fuss with it. I rototilled, peat moss, lime, fertilized, and put some manure from the store in there. They also got miracle grow atleast weekly.

I get mixed opinions how to prep the area for your new trees. Amend the soil vs don't add anything, Turn up the soil vs leave it undistrurbed. Seemed the more I did to it, the better it was in my moderate clay soil with ok pH.
I just dig a hole and throw the tree in and backfill. We have low ph silty sand. I’ll add a bag of topsoil just so the hole fills back up but that’s it. I will fertilize every year but haven’t watered since 2012. Protect with a cage and window screen.

We have a Minnesota 1734 at camp. SLN tree on Antonovka roots. It hasn't fruited yet - been in the ground about 5 or 6 years. I haven't seen any real disease problems on it - knock on wood. It seems to grow well for us in a remote location with NO junipers (cedars) near us for miles - so no CAR problems really. I'm happy with its progress so far. Given what I've seen of 1734 to date - I'd buy another one if I had room ........... but I have no more!!

We have a Minnesota 1734 at camp. SLN tree on Antonovka roots. It hasn't fruited yet - been in the ground about 5 or 6 years. I haven't seen any real disease problems on it - knock on wood. It seems to grow well for us in a remote location with NO junipers (cedars) near us for miles - so no CAR problems really. I'm happy with its progress so far. Given what I've seen of 1734 to date - I'd buy another one if I had room ........... but I have no more!!

I have one of the same age with no problems other than gophers, and no fruit yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one of the same age with no problems other than gophers, and no fruit yet.
I'm kind of anxious to see what the apples are like - taste, how & when they drop, etc.

I just dig a hole and throw the tree in and backfill. We have low ph silty sand. I’ll add a bag of topsoil just so the hole fills back up but that’s it. I will fertilize every year but haven’t watered since 2012. Protect with a cage and window screen.
Ever thought of liming the area?

To get a 1/2 ton per acre equivalent, you need to put .6lbs in a 6ft daimeter circle for a young tree, or 7lbs in a 20ft diameter circle for a mature tree. Do that once a year for 2 or 3 years might help alot.

Planted my whitetail crabs trees last night, used 3 handfuls of pelletized lime and a handful of 1/2 osmocote and 1/2 triple 15. Used to use agriform pellets, but need to order more.

Ever thought of liming the area?

To get a 1/2 ton per acre equivalent, you need to put .6lbs in a 6ft daimeter circle for a young tree, or 7lbs in a 20ft diameter circle for a mature tree. Do that once a year for 2 or 3 years might help alot.

Planted my whitetail crabs trees last night, used 3 handfuls of pelletized lime and a handful of 1/2 osmocote and 1/2 triple 15. Used to use agriform pellets, but need to order more.
I've occasionally added lime to holes or near them. Doesn't happen every time though. I'm planning on liming a bunch of the food plots next year. Some are in the plots and they'll benefit from that I'm sure.