Spring time food - trailcam pic evidence

j-bird

Just a basic post here. But I wanted to show a recent cam pic of mine and how even small plots can help.

My deer density is about 15. The plot pictured below is about 1/4. There are 5 or 6 deer in this plot in this pic so I have roughly 1/3 my neighborhood deer in this one plot. The clover in the distance has came out of dormancy and the fall planted plot in the front is growing well also. I have pics showing lots of use of both areas. Some of the trees here are starting to leaf out, but obviously a green food source is a welcome sight after a winter of eating sticks.

foodplot.jpg

I realize this isn't anything new or ground breaking for many of us, but just thought I would share a little reminder that our deer benefit from our efforts year round if we do it properly. The cage is just an exclusion cage. the fall plot will be tilled under and planted to either corn or soybeans in a month or so and will then get overseeded with cereal grains and brassica to add diversity in the early fall.

I was just going to post this same thing. I pulled SD cards today on my small clover plot. It is only about 1/8 the acre in size and they are visiting it almost every day now. Even in heavy ag this is some of the first green ground we have.
upload_2015-4-12_17-50-22.png

I was just going to post this same thing. I pulled SD cards today on my small clover plot. It is only about 1/8 the acre in size and they are visiting it almost every day now. Even in heavy ag this is some of the first green ground we have.
View attachment 4619
Yep - I'm surrounded by ag as well but corn and soybean fields this time of year are of no use to the deer now. Not many folks implement cover crops or even winter wheat in my area either. We don't have much in the way of things like clover/alfalfa hay fields either. So like you said once the clover turns green and and those cereal grains start to actively grow the deer seem to find them pretty quickly.

Nice quality pic there!

Seems like a very good reason to always have winter wheat, rye, or clover on the property.

Certainly illustrates the effectiveness of having green plots. I think I've completely bought into the dipper/LC mindset. Providing deer with food 365 should be our ultimate goal. Hunting plots are crucial, but having nutrients available when they need it most (winter/spring) is more crucial as a deer management technique imo.

Nice plots guys. Beautiful looking country too!

That why I like winter rye so much. It's always the first to go green in spring.

My camp's rye and WW plots are drawing deer regularly now. A few turnip tops were hiding under the snow and are getting cleaned off too. Fresh tracks and droppings all around the plots.

Up-date on WR and WW plots at camp. What hasn't been chewed off is about 7" tall, but the plots are getting hit pretty hard from the looks of the " flat-topped " stems. Clover starting to pick up the pace of growth too ( planted last spring and fall ). Pregnant mommies welcome !!

Deer in my area have already shifted to the clover - my cereal grain/brassica plots will be tilled under to make way for my corn or soybeans - the ceral grains have done their job as far as feeding the deer is concerned - now it's going to help build OM in my soil!