Spring Duck Hunting is where it's at!

Steve Oehlenschlager

5 year old buck +
DSC_3436_1.JPG DSC_2492_1.JPG DSC_2422_1.JPG If you have not went out shooting ducks in the spring...Well your missing out!!DSC_2319_1.JPG DSC_2418_1.JPG DSC_2418_1.JPG

cool pics!

I always believed us northerners should have a tag we can use for one drake in the spring

Very cool! Thanks for reminding me I have to get up some more wood duck houses.

Last edited:
Wow. Love the pics.

How many $$ are you holding when you take those pics? Learning photography (slightly more than the basics) is on my bucket list.

-John

The setup I was using when I took these pics cost $6000. High quality images are not cheap! The next lens I am buying is $6000 alone.

Amazing photography Steve! I especially like the 2nd pic with the drake looking left into the sun!:cool:

Amazing photos. What kind of setup you use to shoot these?

Great picts!

These were shot with a Nikon D800 with a 70-200 2.8 lens that has a 1.4 extender on it. It helps that my blind is only 10-15 feet away from them. They do hear the shutter going off most of the time, but don't know what it is. The best part is when you get 10 plus drakes and only 1 or 2 hens around. The start fighting so much that they don't even care I am right there. This is what you do with all you surplus corn you grow in the fall...You feed it back to them and make them work for it.

These are low res images and are not sharpened. The originals are tack sharp.

AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8 ED VRII? If so I have been looking at that lense and been drooling.

yep that's the lens. I bought it the second it came out. It was my first prime lens. The quality of my images shot thru the roof! Buying the 300 (2.8) VRII in July. Can't imagine how good flushing Rooster Pheasants will look with that.

I shoot just occasionally and have a lot to learn. I can't afford to make the leap to a lense like that yet but would love to get a lense with a bigger ap.

I crap camera will take a better image with a prime lens than a top of the line camera and a crap lens. Yes there are exceptions, but generally your lens "UNDER GOOD LIGHTING CONDITIONS" will outperform your camera. I used to shoot occasionally until I had to start selling work to finance my expensive hobby!

Some good words of wisdom. Keep posting up pics they are thoroughly enjoyed.

Sweet Pictures, The detail on the wood grain of the duck house make you feel like you can reach out and touch it.

Great pic's & I'm not into ducks.

Grea images, but I prefer to shoot ducks with a shotgun - tastes better too!

Awesome pics but those ducks would look even better with their golden brown feet sticking up out of the dressing.