Spring cleaning

I soooooo much wanted to light a fire today but obligations kept me busy. Looks like you got a good burn!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Nothing like the smell of a fresh controlled burn in the morning!
Getting my required DNR fire permit for burning any piece over 1/4 acre, fire break disking, neighbor notification for anyone in a one mile smoke zone and the UW-SP fire crew to conduct the actual burn all lined up. There is actually still snow on the shaded South side of the prairie so the burn will be at least a couple of weeks away.

KSgobbler - Do those burns kill off those 5 ft. to 15 ft. brushy trees ?? The ground will certainly be popping green carpet soon.

KSgobbler - Do those burns kill off those 5 ft. to 15 ft. brushy trees ?? The ground will certainly be popping green carpet soon.
I wish. It just pisses them off.
Sun is smoked out from all the burns today.

Helped a buddy today. Burned on 3 sides with the windward side a bean field. South winds 20-25 mph got it done quick.
20190415_101200.jpg20190415_101236.jpg

I have had 1 or 2 of these get away from me.........

not fun....... will scare you s***less

bill

I'm with ya TreeDaddy... CONTROL is operative word, and I've felt I was barely in control a couple of times. Also, as a volunteer fireman in earlier years, we'd fight plenty of "controlled burns" that weren't. Lots more rules now, and I know burns are effective when done by guys who know what they're doing. Those fields do look good ksg.

At one point in my life i was the captain of the VFD. At the same time I was a paid firefighter for another department, and I was on intermittent status for USFWS fire. You could say I have a particular set of skills.

We've had some good views this spring too. We got pretty much everything burned this yr except for about 30 acre I want to do a fall burn on.

I almost answered the guy who asked if the burn would kill your hedge... but figured you would rather give the answer since you love hedge so much. :)
762bfb50e56cac9ebc03869367e6a45c.jpg
489c5019353426b7b6b7479edcedafbf.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Do have to worry about control burns in my district with winds 25MPH,no only is it unsafe it is illegal in Kansas 99.9 % of people don't have the equipt to control those types of fires.Be careful out there we have had more deaths from control burns than random house fires

I turkey hunted in the flint hills of Kansas years ago... Its the only place I know of that people light fires in the evening and comeback to see what still needs to be burned in the morning. Everyday we saw large grazing/pasture land fires for regeneration of the prairie grasses. Most never had a single person attending them, many were hundreds of acres in size. We were super nervous about leaving any pop up blinds out overnight.

Do have to worry about control burns in my district with winds 25MPH,no only is it unsafe it is illegal in Kansas 99.9 % of people don't have the equipt to control those types of fires.Be careful out there we have had more deaths from control burns than random house fires
Scares the crap out me to light a fire. Wind direction and speed can change so quickly here. I never start a fire without calling it in first.

Estimate so far is 2 million acres burned just in the Flint Hills. My brother's VFD has had a whopping 2 grass fires this year. The paid dept he works for is way down too. Alot of moisture in the ground this year.FB_IMG_1555441542799.jpg

Out prepping power poles for the upcoming burn. Next year I am going to treat around the bases with herbicide. Neighbor moved the haybales to the south so one less thing to worry about. I saw a few smoke columns from people burning brome last week. The time is almost upon us.

Almost put fire down today. Glad I didnt. Fire departments are busy. Took time to do extra work on my power poles. Also got the oil changed in all my small engines.
20200306_145751.jpg