Spraying apple trees in orchard

I’ve been using a high pressure NorthStar sprayer from Northern Tool ( linked below). I upgraded the tank from 16 to 26 gallons. Has worked well for a number of years.

Imidan for beatles, plum curculio, tent worms, mites, aphids. Much more effective than those all-in-one fruit tree sprays. Japs like sandy soils.
I use a combo of Imadan and Captain.

What about your bees?!

bill
Great question!! I spray the trees with the oil in the spring and a shot of captain before blossom time. Then I don’t spray them at all till after petal drop. Then they get the imadan and captain every 14 days or so. The bees don’t go on the fruit trees after petal drop so it doesn’t effect them. I’ve noticed a huge difference in the health of my trees and the cleanliness of my apples since starting the spray program.

I use a combo of Imadan and Captain.
Great question!! I spray the trees with the oil in the spring and a shot of captain before blossom time. Then I don’t spray them at all till after petal drop. Then they get the imadan and captain every 14 days or so. The bees don’t go on the fruit trees after petal drop so it doesn’t effect them. I’ve noticed a huge difference in the health of my trees and the cleanliness of my apples since starting the spray program.
X 2 - Same program.

I used to use my 25 gallon ATV sprayer but I found I couldn't get around my fenced in orchard as well as I wanted to and it seemed no matter where I parked it, the wind would shift and blow everything back at me. So...I switched to using my 4 gallon backpack sprayer. Yes it is heavy to start out for sure but I set in on the tailgate of my Gator to fill it and slip into it and it isn't too bad.

IMG_2181.JPG

Last edited:
That stihl mist blower looks like exactly what I need but pretty costly I think
$700 retail - but I own multiple Stihl products and will not purchase another brand for small engine outdoor type tools. They are far superior to all other brands IMO. I run Ethanol free fuel in all my yard equipment (blower, string trimmer, chainsaws, SCAG, etc.) and NEVER have a problem starting them up in Spring.

As always - you get what you pay for. I've owned my Stihl blower for 15 years and haven't had a single operational issue with it. Still runs amazing.

Bonide Captain Jack's Dead Bug?
No I get straight up Imadan powder and Captan powder and mix 1 oz each per gallon of water in my backpack sprayer.

No I get straight up Imadan powder and Captan powder and mix 1 oz each per gallon of water in my backpack sprayer.
Do you consume any of that fruit or are your trees just for wildlife?