Spraying apple trees in orchard

4wanderingeyes

5 year old buck +
For those of you that have larger orchards, do you spray your trees? If so, what do you use to spray them, as in a hand pump sprayer? do you attempt to hook a garden hose up? This isnt practical for me. Do you spray them all, or just the ones that show signs of needing it?

My trees have basically fended for themselves, but now that I live on my land, I will have some spare time, and thought maybe I will try to spray them this year. I havent had much problems with my trees, but later in the year, wasps are usually eating them.

I spray with a 15 gallon sprayer that has an electric pump straped to my 4wheeler.
Some of the older ones I grow and want to keep demand sprays. The ones that don't make the cut will be grafted over to something more disease resistant.
Gold Rush and Redfree are two that come to mind.
Arkansas Sweet would too if not for the whole I grow Arkansas varieties thing.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

I use a 25 gallon spray tank with 2 gpm pump on the back of a golf cart. Some use a tank on a trailer behind a lawn tractor.
80% of my spraying is to control insect damage and 20% for fungus control.

Last edited:
Prof Kent

When you say insect damage, are you referring to the tree or the fruit? Just curious as fruit trees are something I basically have zero experience with.
Thanks

Just curious - what chemical (s) are you spraying for bugs?? Japs are our biggest problem, with various caterpillars coming in at #2 - but they aren't a widespread problem. Japs are all over.

Just curious - what chemical (s) are you spraying for bugs?? Japs are our biggest problem, with various caterpillars coming in at #2 - but they aren't a widespread problem. Japs are all over.
Liquid sevin has worked well for me.

Prof Kent

When you say insect damage, are you referring to the tree or the fruit? Just curious as fruit trees are something I basically have zero experience with.
Thanks
Both. Some lay eggs on the fruit (plum circulio, cottling moth) which does major damage on fruit. Some eat the leaves or burrow under the bark. japanese beetles can strip a young tree in a few days.

I use a 25 gallon spray tank with 2 gpm pump on the back of a golf cart. Some use a tank on a trailer behind a lawn tractor.
That wand and sprayer looks like a great idea. I already have a sprayer, so a wand shopping I go! Thanks!

Imidan for beatles, plum curculio, tent worms, mites, aphids. Much more effective than those all-in-one fruit tree sprays. Japs like sandy soils.

I use a 15 gallon sprayer, strapped to my gorilla cart, pulled behind my lawn mower.

We'll see what changes when more of my trees start producing fruit, but right now spraying them with micronutrients has prevented any need to spray them with poisons.

We use an air blast , moves all the foliage nothing hides , three point smaller sprayer 65 gals do 3000 trees in hour and a half that includes clean up two fills , alows use to cut material use by at least half so save alot on concentrate spraying

I have 25-30 trees, started with a 4 gal manual pump backpack sprayer. Last couple of years I've been using a Stihl SR 430 mist blower, a bit heavy but does a really god job and uses much less water / chemical because its a mist as opposed to larger drops of water.

I have 25-30 trees, started with a 4 gal manual pump backpack sprayer. Last couple of years I've been using a Stihl SR 430 mist blower, a bit heavy but does a really god job and uses much less water / chemical because its a mist as opposed to larger drops of water.
I've been waiting for someone to make a small vehicle-mounted mist blower with a long hose for us small orchardists. I can't do a 60 pound backpack.

Imidan for beatles, plum curculio, tent worms, mites, aphids. Much more effective than those all-in-one fruit tree sprays.
Isn't Imidan unavailable to most folks now?? I thought I read somewhere that it's now restricted to certified commercial orchardists.

Isn't Imidan unavailable to most folks now?? I thought I read somewhere that it's now restricted to certified commercial orchardists.
We're still free in Michigan to use it. Get it while you can.

They ship it to me from here. Not sure about PA Bows.

"Imidan 70 WSB 5# – Agcare Products" https://www.agcareproducts.com/prod...1JpBsmAByuUisNC8yM5S04LMBgcCypIsaAkkPEALw_wcB

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Can anyone comment on the spraying power of those 15 gallon tanks at harbor freight? Little pump sprayer not getting it done anymore

That stihl mist blower looks like exactly what I need but pretty costly I think

Can anyone comment on the spraying power of those 15 gallon tanks at harbor freight? Little pump sprayer not getting it done anymore
I found the 1gpm pumps inadequate for trees 12ft and taller. I use the 2.1 gpm pump. Also it helps to get a long wand.

Cant speak for harbor freight. However, I use FIMCO 15 gal economy spot sprayer from tractor supply. I spray copper on my apple trees for cedar apple rust. Cedars too.

That little economy sprayer works good for my ATV for roundup. I rigged up (2) of the grey color 140 deg fan sprays about 4ft apart on the back of the ATV. I get 7.5ft spread. The 15 gallon does pretty much 1 acre at 5mph.