Sprayer question

Ben.MN/WI

5 year old buck +
I have a Fimco 25 gallon boom sprayer that mounts on the back rack of the ATV. My ATV battery is on it's last leg and it's having problems keeping the pressure up on the sprayer. Would there be any issues if I hooked up the sprayer to a deep cell 12 volt trolling motor battery?

I use a gel cell strapped to my ATV rack. Never had a problem with that.

I am talking the Vexilar style battery. Not even a deep cycle.

Perfect, thanks for the responses.

Ben, what pressure do you run yours at? Mine produces more of a rain than mist and when I increase the pressure it stops spraying altogether.

Mine runs around 40-60 PSI. I don't know if that's adjustable or not - that's just how mine ran when I first bought it and it worked well so I never really looked into it any further. When my battery is low, it has a tough time keeping it at the higher pressure and then it's more like the rain that you're describing. The pressure will build up right away, but then when I open up the shutoff leading to the boom the pressure drops to 0-10 psi and it drips instead of creating the nice mist that helps get a good coating. With a better battery, the pressure will stay in the 40-60 range and have a perfect mist.

I'm assuming there is some type of filter somewhere on the sprayer as well that could be the cause of the problems you're describing.

Thanks for the info, I need to check mine over to make sure it's functioning.

There is a pick up filter at the ending of the tube in the tank. There also should be filters in each spray tip. By putting a recycle tube in your spray tank, and adding a 3 way shutoff so you can either mix the spray mixture, or spray. I added a pressure gauge in the line to the spray tips. For my sprayer, I can adjust the output to the tips to 20-30 psi . My way before was to run straight form the pump to the tips, could not cover an acre with 26 gallons, the pump would almost run all the time- 60psi.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I need to check mine over to make sure it's functioning.

I had some gunk on mine this spring and once I cleaned out the filter on intake it went back up to 60, I typically spray at 40 so it dosent drift so bad, had to wound a few elderberry to figure that out.

I have a Fimco 25 gallon boom sprayer that mounts on the back rack of the ATV. My ATV battery is on it's last leg and it's having problems keeping the pressure up on the sprayer. Would there be any issues if I hooked up the sprayer to a deep cell 12 volt trolling motor battery?

To address the problem not the symptom... After buying one 90 dollar atv battery I have gone to using trickle chargers hung from the ceiling all the time... the battery on my 2003 sportsman 700 still works great despite all the tings i do to damage it, sprayer, seed /fert sprreader, hand/thumb warmers, winch and hand spot light... when the battery is fully charged the electronic used is not measurable by my kill a watt.

Knowing what pressure that your tips put out determines what pressure to use. If you know what tip output is at 20 or 30 psi, has no correlation at 40-50-60 psi.

I don't think my problem was battery related. Well my ATV battery still sucks but I don't think that was the cause of the spray problems. I hooked the sprayer up to a deep cell trolling motor battery and the results were the same. So I emptied out about 12 gallons of round-up/water mix and checked the intake line and a filter had a lot of slimy stuff on it that I'm sure was restricting the flow. It was dark by the time I finished putting the sprayer back on my ATV, so I didn't have a chance to test it out.

Ben, what pressure do you run yours at? Mine produces more of a rain than mist and when I increase the pressure it stops spraying altogether.
I was incorrect when I reported that mine ran at 40-60 psi before. The pump runs the tank up to 60 psi , but once you start spraying the pressure drops and then runs at 20 psi. I seem to get a pretty good coverage when I run at that pressure.

My sprayer worked perfectly last night after I took the slime off the filter in the line that leads out of the tank. Hopefully my soybean plot takes off now that the weed competition will be decreased.