sprayer build

N

non-pro-archer

This is a sprayer I have been building for awhile now. I got it done and took it out today to try and get a field done but my tips keep clogging and they don't seem to be putting out nearly enough liquid. I have 10 tips on a 14 foot boom with 20 inch spacing and the pump is a 3.8 gpm 45 psi. The tips are .3 gpm 110 degree spray angle. Is my pump not big enough? And what can cause the tips to not spray right? I'm at a loss, I tried it out on our driveway and it did fine14000345692370.jpg 14000345940741.jpg 14027141447460.jpg

Hello Archer, I don't see the photo's of the sprayer. The 3.8 gal pump should be big enough - what type of mix were you spraying?

Tips have screens in them and tank inlet should have screen to. Check them if you haven't already.

Hello Archer, I don't see the photo's of the sprayer. The 3.8 gal pump should be big enough - what type of mix were you spraying?
It was gly with the blue dye mixed in so I don't overlap too bad

Tips have screens in them and tank inlet should have screen to. Check them if you haven't already.
It doesn't have a screen any where, I thought about putting a filter on the inlet but I was worried that it might filter out the gly

I don't have a pic of everything on the rig, just the trailer. I'll get pics posted today when I go back to the farm

14027141447460.jpg 13996011280770.jpg 14061228543510.jpg
Here's some of the almost finished product

It's adjustable from about 18 inches up to 40 inches

filters on the circulaton system will help as well as filters on your tips. If your tip is .3 gpm thats a pretty small hole so the smallest thing can plug or partially plug it and cause issues. To my knowledge a typical screen type filter will not remove your chemical - something else to consider is if you put anything granular into your mix if it doesn't disolve entirely it can cause issues.

I had an issue with mine earlier this year and I had a partially blocked line - air compressor fixed that - but it blew this slime crap all over the grage wall -pure brilliance on my part!

filters on the circulaton system will help as well as filters on your tips. If your tip is .3 gpm thats a pretty small hole so the smallest thing can plug or partially plug it and cause issues. To my knowledge a typical screen type filter will not remove your chemical - something else to consider is if you put anything granular into your mix if it doesn't disolve entirely it can cause issues.

I had an issue with mine earlier this year and I had a partially blocked line - air compressor fixed that - but it blew this slime crap all over the grage wall -pure brilliance on my part!
I don't use any granular mixes at the moment but will keep that in mind if I ever do. The tank I'm using had some chemical left in it this past winter and I think that caused some of my issues, I kept getting clogged tips so I pulled all the tips and sprayed with it wide open and a BUNCH of a gel kind of stuff came out of some of the tips and after that it seemed to run fine. I plan on getting an in line strainer and strainers for all the tips before spraying again

Nice shop!

Nice shop!
Thanks, it gets plenty of use. Started out as just a wood working shop but now we have a welding station and somewhat of a paint\finishing booth. Only regret is not having water and a bathroom, but then I would be required to heat it all the time rather than just when I'm up there

Thats gonna be one bad ass sprayer when you get her tuned in NPA!
I need to build a better sprayer. It save me lots of time!

I replaced my pressure gauge, 0-60 to a gel filled one of the same 0-60. Have not used it yet, but next spring will be its maiden voyage. Did you have a gpm @ pressure with your tips? I use 20 psi to get the correct amount of spray.

filterscreen.jpg

I use one of these on my rig. Filters the solution before it hits the pump. I also use the filter screens at the tips.

filterscreen1.jpg

Fine mesh on the inside of the screen. I also make all of the fittings standard garden hose so i can swap everything around and buy garden hose stuff if something breaks.

Thats gonna be one bad ass sprayer when you get her tuned in NPA!
I need to build a better sprayer. It save me lots of time!
I hope it gets that way, I'm getting a new tank and a pump before spring. I had some problems with the pump I was using building pressure, contemplating going to a pto pump since cost wouldn't be much different and I could use it for other uses anyways