Soybeans are totally demolished....

alldaysit

5 year old buck +
Well, I planted a small plot at about an acre. I put up an exclusion cage and the beans in the cage are about a foot or a little more tall (these were planted the third week of June). The beans outside the cage are not growing whatsoever. My plan is:

1. Spray glyphosphate to kill the minimal weed growth
2. Broadcast the rye/oats/radish/peas/clover LC mix.
3. Disc or Not to disc
4. If I don't disc I can roll with lawn roller before a rain.

What do you think?

Everything in that mix should be fine without discing except maybe the peas. I am amazed you had any growth with only an acre of beans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It doesn't even look like there is anything planted in the field......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was in the same situation with one of my small soybean plots that i knew would be decimated. I decide to spray and overseed like the suggestion above. The germination will be a bit slower than if you lightly disked - be prepared for that. If you get an good rain after overseeding you may germinate quickly. i also increase my seeding rate a bit in these situations.

Better plant soon...........not many growing days left!

I have had the same experience with small soybean plots, but it was kinda what I wanted and expected. I like to use RR soybeans for a summer planting for opening up a new plot/area. I think it should allow me to get a better handle on weeds. I planted just short of an acre plot on Memorial Day weekend and am heading down this weekend to overseed with some brassica's. From the reports from my BIL it's been hammered to the point of looking like nothing grew. Then again, it's a pretty high deer density area and the nearest ag field is about 1 mile away...

just my opinion here but I would disc if possible and then spread you peas and then pack/drag and then broadcast the others. Peas will do much better with some dirt over them.

IF you decide to disc...

Broadcast any amendments (lime, fertilizer)

Broadcast the WR, oats and peas, lightly disc (set at 2" to put 1" of dirt on the big seed) and then cultipack/roll.

Broadcast the smaller seeded stuff and radish, followed by a 2nd cultipack/roll process.

Soybeans are great, if you've got lots of acres, very low deer numbers, or enough Milorganite or e-fencing to keep deer out for 4-6 weeks. Even then, there are better ways of providing diversity and winter food sources for deer.