Son's first turkey

Jeff23

5 year old buck +
I will work on getting a photo posted, but wanted to share our story.
Since PA is a no-Sunday-hunting state, we just had to watch two gobblers all afternoon in the field on May 3rd. I felt sure they would return to the field Monday morning.
Ever since my three kids were with me when I shot a buck last deer season, my middle child (Caleb- age 7) has been on me about what we could hunt next. When I told him turkey season was next, he kept asking me when turkey season would be in. I decided he was big, old and mature enough to be ready to man the gun. I borrowed a .410 single shot from a friend (didn't have a shotgun I felt would work well for him), and we were ready to go. On the morning of the youth season, all three kids were with me in the blind, but Caleb was to be the shooter. We had a bearded hen come right to the decoy (Avian X decoys are THE BOMB!), but he wasn't able to get a shot before she saw us getting into position and left.
So...after watching the turkeys all afternoon Sunday, I got the "all-clear" from Mom to take Caleb out Monday morning. He normally is most likely to sleep in, but he hops right out of bed when it comes to hunting. We got set up in the same blind, and watched a hen come in and flog our decoy, but it was not the bearded hen (did I mention those Avian decoys are AWESOME?). After a while of no action, he asked if we could go home. I asked him if he could stay another 30 minutes, and he said he could. About 15 minutes later, I peeked out the side of the blind, and saw a bright red head at the edge of the woods. I let Caleb know that a turkey was coming, and he could shoot it. As it turned out, 5 jakes slowly headed our way in the small field. They took way too long to work to the decoy, but were finally right in front of us at 15 yards. I instructed Caleb to wait until one moved away so he wouldn't hit more than one. BOOM He missed! I couldn't believe it. The jakes just started milling around, trying to figure out what happened. I dug another shell from my pocket, reloaded the gun, got Caleb set up on the closest bird (almost 30 yards away) and told him to take his time and shoot the turkey in the neck. BOOM The jake dropped straight to the ground. I can't even describe my feelings at that point. I have never had an adrenaline rush like that after shooting a turkey for myself. I think I was jacked up 10 times more than Caleb, although I could see the pride on his face. We went and recovered it, and talked about why we hunt and kill turkeys, and that we would eat this turkey at home. I am still pumped. It was a 15 1/2 pound jake with about a 3" beard, but it may as well have been a 200" typical 10 point- I couldn't be happier and more proud.
Just wanted to share with you folks- I figured you would appreciate it.

Last edited:
Congrats to your son.

So cool getting the young ones turned on to hunting!:cool: Congrats to the new hunter! And the proud daddy!

thats awesome! a big congrats to the young man on a job well done!

Congrats also a great story. All we need now are pics.

Sorry, I guess I should have put the pics in separate posts. First time posting pics- oops.

I love this kind of story.

Gotta like it when the kids get to experience the outdoors!

Very cool!

That's awesome!

Congrats to you and your son! Great stuff!

Congrats. That is a long poke with a .410. I limited my daughter to 20 yards and her bird was kind enough to come in to 15.

I share your feelings regarding the excitement. A kid's success is much more fun than my own.

You're right, Reagan, it was the max I was prepared to let him shoot. The pattern seemed to be very similar at 20 and 30, but if I'm being completely honest I must admit I didn't really evaluate the distance too much before the second shot- I was busy trying to get him ready for the second shot. I learned some good lessons about hunting with a 7 year old that day. Congrats on your daughters bird- great stuff!

Very cool