Something I’ve heard but never seen till recently

I have seen them do it before - my question is how do you have milo with heads - dont you have hogs?

Not a single one. I’ve seen one hog run through in 6 years

I sat on stand once watching them do that to a small field of wild game food sorghum I planted. Never planted it again because they stripped every last one in no time.

I sat on stand once watching them do that to a small field of wild game food sorghum I planted. Never planted it again because they stripped every last one in no time.
That has been our experience with it too. Pretty much all of the sorghum is gone by the end of September.

I watched a buck daylight and eat the heads in Sept. once, it was a pretty nice 130 inch deer. Why I think this was special is it was first time it had been planted in the area and the deer was eating the first year planted, it seemed that the learning curve was not necessary.

If you can plant to where it's green during ML or first of archery theres nothing better for about a week.That is until it's ripe or gone.Another issue is coons and turkey,blackbirds and about everything else eats it depending on tannin levels

If you're getting sorghum heads zapped early, try japanese millet. Up by me, Japanese millet is an early to mid october time forage.

If you're getting sorghum heads zapped early, try japanese millet. Up by me, Japanese millet is an early to mid october time forage.
Deer wont touch my japanese or brown top millet. But, neither will hogs.

I'm going heavy on the milo next year. Anything I can do to help the deer get through the winter in good shape is high on my list of priorities. I'm thinking of doing a third milo, a third soybeans, and a third clover/brassica mix.

So, it doesn’t rain here August -October, not very much at least. It’s very hard to late summer plant for perfect timing at start of deer season.

IMG_4905.png

I have had luck mowing the sorghum about now, and getting it to resprout and head out a second time. Might try that some again.

Deer wont touch my japanese or brown top millet. But, neither will hogs.
I’ve had much more use of Milo over millet. I do plant some Japanese millet in some duck areas.