Solve 2 disputes

ksgobbler

5 year old buck +
I say this is wildblackberry. A friend says wild raspberries. Who is right?
859EF6DF-65FC-48D8-AAFF-029ED830775F.jpeg

Same discussion on I don’t know what it is but friend says elderberry. I thought it bloomed sooner
5AD4E64B-6CAA-4AC8-9408-A58BB50BD4EC.jpeg

I'll go with blackberry, and elderberry.

Reactions: Tap
Elderberry for sure.

Looks like blackberry to me.

When you pick the fruit, it becomes really easy to tell them apart. Raspberry has a cone shaped receptacle and you can see the cone left on the stem where the berry comes off. The hole goes deep into the berry, leaving the back side of the berry hollow. Blackberry is almost flat at that location.

Also the underside of the leaves look very different. Raspberry will be much lighter in color - a very light green with a white cast.

Shrub is elderberry. The bloom period is very long. It started here over 2 weeks ago and still in full bloom right now.

Last edited:
So is this wild raspberry.
2F78A14F-02A7-4BA3-9156-3DDE03077F2D.jpeg285F7422-1BB3-45C1-AC24-4060946531D0.jpeg8181AC78-7648-4C79-A8EF-EE97F23A997C.jpeg

I searched and found you a link that should clear it up for you. Look at the next to the last picture, and you will see the cone (rasp) I was talking about that stays on the stalk when the berry is picked. When you have this, you know it is a raspberry and not a blackberry.

https://jimmycrackedcorn.wordpress.com/tag/raspberries/

I would guess blackberry and elderberry. I do everything I can to fight the blackberries, elderberries get encouragemen.

Reference post #6 above - Native's link clearly shows how to tell the difference between blackberries and raspberries. Nice info. Thanks Steve !!

Natives info was pretty interesting......that means I have mostly blackberries. The second is Elderberry......mine is in full bloom right now and the white flowers make them them very easy to spot from a distance. I have far more of it than I ever thought.

Your friend is a smart feller...

Blackberry vs raspberry is splitting hairs to me. They are both in the same genus, and serve the same function to wildlife, but sometimes with different bloom periods. While sometimes uncomfortable, it’s one of the heaviest used soft mast spp and heavily browsed by deer in early summer.

Second is elderberry. It’s in full bloom in TN too right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackberry vs raspberry is splitting hairs to me. They are both in the same genus, and serve the same function to wildlife, but sometimes with different bloom periods. While sometimes uncomfortable, it’s one of the heaviest used soft mast spp and heavily browsed by deer in early summer.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a big difference in deer usage between the 2 around here. Deer prefer the leaves of raspberry over blackberry on my place. I also see more deer movement in raspberry, too. The stalks and thorns of blackberry are a bit more coarse and sharp...not sure if that's a reason my deer don't travel through blackberry as much.