Soil Test Help

Early Bird

5 year old buck +
Good Evening all,

Hope someone can help me determine, based on the soil test, which fertilizer to use on my first food plot. I have 1 acre cleared in the woods. I have added 1400 lbs of pelletized lime so far. I am planning on planting rye, ww, and Red Clover over labor day weekend. The coop near me said 300 lbs 6/24/24, but I am questioning if that will be enough nitrogen for the mix. Any help is much appreciated. Property is in Southern Ohio.

IMG_soil test.jpg

Thanks,

EB

Good Evening all,

Hope someone can help me determine, based on the soil test, which fertilizer to use on my first food plot. I have 1 acre cleared in the woods. I have added 1400 lbs of pelletized lime so far. I am planning on planting rye, ww, and Red Clover over labor day weekend. The coop near me said 300 lbs 6/24/24, but I am questioning if that will be enough nitrogen for the mix. Any help is much appreciated. Property is in Southern Ohio.

View attachment 24534

Thanks,

EB
You really won’t need any nitrogen for that mix. WR doesn’t need it

Reactions: don
Best fertilizer for that mix this fall would be to plant crimson clover and buckwheat tomorrow.

First, get the lime right. How big is the plot? Did you add 1,400 lbs or 1,400 lbs/ac? This is way more important than fertilizer. I'm having a hard time reading the photo, so if that information is on there, I missed it. Lime will take time to work. With a pH of 5.4, you will need a lot more than 1,400 lbs/ac. I have soil with that pH and it takes between 3 and 4 tons/ac to get it into the 6s. If your plot is tiny, the 1400 lbs (not lbs/ac) may be ok. I'd calculate the lbs/ac and see if you are in the 3 to 4 tons/ac range. You may need multiple application of lime. In my area, they say not to add more than about 3 tons in a single application, but it will depend on your soil type.

I'm not sure I would waste money on fertilizer depending on your soil type. I'd skip the WW and replace it with WR. It takes time for lime to amend the soil and with a pH of 5.4 uptake of the fertilizer will be limited by the pH. WR will grow in poor pH infertile soil. At this point, I'd be more focused on soil than deer. The crops that benefit the soil are good deer crops. The first thing to consider is doing no harm. Minimize tillage. Don't go more than 1" deep or use Throw and Mow. It looks like you have good OM and you don't want to lose that by introducing oxygen into the soil. That good OM is more important than fertilizer in nutrient cycling.

Adding fertilizer won't hurt and may help somewhat, but it is much less important now than adjusting pH. If you add fertilizer, completely ignore N. Focus on P and K. Depending on what fertilizer your coop is using, you will likely get some N by default. Choose MAP over DAP if they have it to achieve your P requirement. For most of the deer crops we plant in the fall, N is highly over-rated and it is not tested in most soil tests. Any N recommendation comes from the crop needs. In some of the better tests, they will ask about previous legume crops and yield to calculated banked N, but most N recommendations are way high for food plots.

Soil recommendations are generally focused on farmers that are planting monocultures, removing nutrients by harvesting, and trying to maximize yield. This doesn't mesh with food plotting. While soil testing and fertilizer recommendations are a reasonable place to start for someone new to food plotting, over the years, I've found that by building OM and selecting smart mixes or rotations, improved nutrient cycling significantly reduces fertilizer requirements.

Thanks,

Jack

Kinda reminds me of going to church.

Early Bird - The fertilizer recommendation is Ok. Your seed mix is OK. What you've done with lime is dandy. I know, all you asked about was the fertilizer part, but , then you said any help would be appreciated.

That's when the hymn sing started.....:emoji_innocent:

I would put down another dose of lime now, then also add your fertilizer that they recommended. 6-24-24 will work fine. Before planting spray the field to kill any weeds growing. Then I would plant winter rye, and clover Labor Day. I would do the same rotation for a few years, retest soil every 2 years until the numbers are up where you want them, then plant what ever you want. Then you can run a "Maintenance" dose of lime and fertilizer every year or 2, depending on your soil type. Sand more often, loom, in between, clay less often.

Thanks for all the info guys. I just put the 1400lbs of lime on last month. I plan on adding more before I plant. The hard part is that I live 6 hrs from my property and have to plan ahead. How much rye would you plant if I exclude the WW? 150 lbs? 10 lbs red clover? Btw it is a 1 acre plot so I put 1400lbs per acre of lime. I will plant buckwheat next spring but this will be my first plot. I appreciate the education :emoji_thumbsup:

EB

I agree with Farmer Dan, fertilizer and seed mix are just fine, nothing in that seed mix needs N, good luck with your first plot. No need to overthink it.

I agree with Farmer Dan, fertilizer and seed mix are just fine, nothing in that seed mix needs N, good luck with your first plot. No need to overthink it.
I lose sleep over what fertilizer to use:emoji_grin:. I need to relax a little. Thanks guys for all the tips.:emoji_thumbsup:

EB

I lose sleep over what fertilizer to use:emoji_grin:. I need to relax a little. Thanks guys for all the tips.:emoji_thumbsup:

EB

Don't! You lose sleep over buying fertilizer for 1,000 acres of corn, not over a 1 acre food plot. This isn't baking or cooking or brewing. It's as much or more art than science. There's always macro nutrients in soil. Making them available it the key. You got your liming done. Now relax. You are putting water in the bucket faster than it's running out.

Farmer Dan, I like your style. Thanks again!

[QUOTE="FarmerDan, post: 201093, member: 1475 It's as much or more art than science.

......and you are doing this for fun out of a passion for habitat management

enjoy the ride...... it gets better every year!!!

bill