soil amendments for a nursery?

chickenlittle

5 year old buck +
While I planted a number of benchgrafts and bare rootstocks in their final locations last year and will do so again this year, I have found it a bit of a pain to keep track of and deal with re-grafting. So I'd like to make a nursery in my backyard. The area that I have can get wet so I'd like to do a raised bed. I did this last year with soil and compost and it worked well but maybe too heavy and slow to drain. I was wondering what else other have mixed in their nursery soil.

if it's too heavy what about adding some sand? I use 50% topsoil + 50% mushroom personally.

if it's too heavy what about adding some sand? I use 50% topsoil + 50% mushroom per

CrazyEd, Where do you buy the mushroom mix?
Thanks!

While I planted a number of benchgrafts and bare rootstocks in their final locations last year and will do so again this year, I have found it a bit of a pain to keep track of and deal with re-grafting. So I'd like to make a nursery in my backyard. The area that I have can get wet so I'd like to do a raised bed. I did this last year with soil and compost and it worked well but maybe too heavy and slow to drain. I was wondering what else other have mixed in their nursery soil.

Years ago when I was growing trees for bonsai, I used a mixture of crushed granite (chicken grit) to aid in keeping the soil loose to allow easier root growth.

I found cautions about using sand as it can make drainage worse. Said that finer particles can pack in tight between the sand grains. With enough sand added, it works but I see numbers like 50-70% sand.

Sand can work great! However it works better if you can recirculate your water since you will need to fertigate. I had some awesome luck with it, but isnt practical other than on a small scale setting from my perspective.

Apple trees love gravel soil mixed with composted manure. It is also a lot easier to dig them and get good roots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk