Soft sided blinds Redneck or Muddy

ssesox

5 year old buck +
Do you have one of these blinds? do you like it? Are they durable? How are the window designs? Do you recommend one over the other? Did you elevate it? I'm sick of deer picking me off or getting squirrelly when I bow hunt out of my Double bull pop up blind even though I have only a couple windows barely open. I also have the blind in place at least a month in advance before I hunt. I have pictures of deer contentedly feeding around it. The minute I get in it they are usually on red alert. I'm hoping these may be darker inside, the window design better and possibly seal in my scent better. I'm also considering elevating it so I'm not at eye level with the deer. My experience hunting out of a tent blind has been frustrating.

1550586771657.png

I'm not going to speak to this are any specific blind, but there are some general concepts to consider if deer feed calmly around the blind when you are not in it but are on red alert when you are in it.

The first thing that comes to mind is scent control. A blind helps to some degree holding in scent, but the key is to start with good scent control before you hunt. I'm an archery hunter and need to get close to deer without a blind. I wash my hunting clothes in no-stink and keep them in an air-tight container. I shower immediately before I hunt with non-scented soap. I don't even put my hunting clothes on until I park the truck and get out to hunt. Only rubber boots are used.

The next thing I think of is silhouetting. I never open windows in the back of the blind and I open as few windows as little as needed to hunt. I like a blind that is large enough that I can sit in the back corner with no light hitting me. When I see deer from there, I move like I was in an open stand, when the deer is calm, feeding, or distracted and looking elsewhere.

Next is blind setup. I want to set up a blind so that the sun is on the back side with no open windows during the time of day I plan to hunt it. You don't want direct light coming in any of the windows. I also like to brush in my blinds with limbs and such from the field. Turkey don't at all care about how long a blind has been set up or those black windows, but deer do. I don't open windows when I hunt. I open the windows I need and set them exactly where I want them when I setup the blind. This allows deer to acclimate to the open windows when I'm not in the blind.

One more thing that helps is replaceable shoot-through netting on the windows. Sunlight tends to reflect off it and it softens the "black window" effect you see in the picture of the blind above.

Thanks,

Jack

I put up one of the redneck soft sided blinds last year on a 8' platform, so far I like it. It was pretty easy to put up and the material is quite a bit thicker than any pop up I've ever owned.

sDcDWUB.jpg

I used a red neck soft side for the first time last year. I was very impressed with the durability. I did take the cover off for the winter since we get pretty good snow fall here. Love the window set up for archery and gun hunting! My intent was to elevate the blind, but ran out of time so it sat at 16" off the ground on a platform last year. I have hunted out of a double bull for years and can tell you for certain the concealment of this blind is much much better. I highly recommend them!

Did you brush in the blind? I always feel trapped in blinds and try my best not to hunt out of them. Of course you can’t always find the perfect tree.

When forced to use a blind I brush them in really well. I have even started to brush in my stands.

Yes, kind of, but we didn't get real carried away. Here is a pic of Dad standing by it.dad at redneck.jpg

Another thumbs up for Redneck. I have one.

I have the redneck gillie and like it so far,I put it on a 4 wheel hay trailer so it is 4ft off ground and have deer walk right by it.I am going to paint the window flaps black before next year as from what I see with this and my bale blind that if all the sudden you open those windows and there are big black blobs on side of blind they get nervous.On my muddy bale blind the windows can either be black or burlap so I always turn them black side out

I have 2. Also went with the DIY 8’ stand kit. Very nice. Definitely an improvement over others, however this is “semi portable”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have one of these blinds? do you like it? Are they durable? How are the window designs? Do you recommend one over the other? Did you elevate it? I'm sick of deer picking me off or getting squirrelly when I bow hunt out of my Double bull pop up blind even though I have only a couple windows barely open. I also have the blind in place at least a month in advance before I hunt. I have pictures of deer contentedly feeding around it. The minute I get in it they are usually on red alert. I'm hoping these may be darker inside, the window design better and possibly seal in my scent better. I'm also considering elevating it so I'm not at eye level with the deer. My experience hunting out of a tent blind has been frustrating.

View attachment 22883
I don't think this will solve your problem. I have never been picked off in a double bull and would agree with Yoder something else is at play. Also wear full black in them helps a ton.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You've never been picked off in Double Bull??? You're my deer hunting hero. For those of you who answered my question thanks much. I also learned that scent control is important while deer hunting. =)