Soft Mast Victories

SD51555

5 year old buck +
I had a chance to get out to my mini-project area in Southern MN this weekend. I've haven't been out there this late in the spring in a few years. I was able to see my apple trees in bloom, as well as check on the rest of the project. Here's what I found:

This first pic is of the giant crabapple tree I found last fall. This is also the one we cut away all the brush that was crowding it about 3 weeks ago. Notice the strange bloom pattern? Where it didn't bloom, was where the brush was touch/crowding the tree.
2.jpg

One benefit to being in the woods during peak blooming is that you find trees that an average tree person such as myself wouldn't be able to identify without the flowers. My brother and I were standing around looking at stuff, and he says to me, "What is that flowering over there?" New find! I'm leaning towards another wild crabapple, but I'll defer to all of you to help identify. Here's where it started:

We had to knock down some ash trees that were crowding it out.
3.jpg

Now it has some breathing room.
4.jpg

Here's a close up of the leaves and flower. The leaves were very thin and velvet like. Anyone else support the wild crabapple guess?
9.jpg

That looks like a cherry leaf to me. but the blossom does not fit hat I see in the book.. Stu would know.

You should get a copy of Trees and Shrubs of Minnesota by Welby Smith.

That looks like a cherry leaf to me. but the blossom does not fit hat I see in the book.. Stu would know.

You should get a copy of Trees and Shrubs of Minnesota by Welby Smith.

I do not know what tree that is but I will throw out another recommendation for the book that Sandbur recommends. I got it for Christmas last year and it is very good. It is too darn big to take with you anywhere though!

That's not a cheap book. But if you guys recommend it...

Ok, I ordered it right away. I need to get back out there in mid july and again around labor day to see what else comes of it. Maybe I can find some more clues.