Snow shoes

I got two pairs of wooden shoes with the Bob Macki rubber bindings. Always thought they worked pretty good......a bit heavy, but track straight in open country.

Like some of the others, I grew up on wood and rawhide. But the modern aluminum and neoprene snowshoes are the way to go. The crampon underneath the toe comes in handy in icey or hilly conditions. The bindings are easy on/off and stay put. Light.

I'll recommend one more thing. I use my snowshoes with a plastic mountaineering boot and this combination is just wicked. Unlike a leather boot, the plastic boot does not flex at all and really drives the snowshoe where you want it to go, like a downhill ski. When the snow gets deep and I start walking over downed trees and brush and shrubs, or when the terrain is variable or mountainous, plastic boots offer aggressive support. They don't get wet. And they are warm! Sierra Trading Post often offers used army surplus boots like these for under $50. Try them with your snowshoes and you'll never go back to your old boots.

I have the Cabelas brand snow shoes with the ratchet bindings and agree that these are the way to go. I have tried other types of binding and nothing compares. Easy on/off and you can tighten them up as much as needed. They won't slip and fall off.

I started out with Yukon Charlies as a gift and liked them. Now have Tubbs.

Make sure you check out the bindings with the type of boots you intend to wear. I always have problems with the boot fitting correctly in
the binding the straps staying secure.

SNOWSHOES?!?!? - I just wear my hunting boots. Who needs a special pair of shoes for when there is a little snow on the ground!

Had to give you guys a hard time. I think we average like 18" of snow A YEAR! You guys more than likely get that in a day or weekend.

SNOWSHOES?!?!? - I just wear my hunting boots. Who needs a special pair of shoes for when there is a little snow on the ground!

Had to give you guys a hard time. I think we average like 18" of snow A YEAR! You guys more than likely get that in a day or weekend.

Can you get into your woods right now and work?

Yep :p! Basically the only thing that keeps me out is when it is just too "cold" - I say "cold" because my cold and your cold are different. My too cold is 25 or less - yep I'm a pansy! The other thing that slows me down is when it is warm enough that it rains or what snow we do get melts and things get sloppy. I am out almost every weekend doing something - typically nothing major just normally running the saw to some extent. The other thing that keeps me out is a wife and 4 kids - but I think everybody battles that to some extent or another. I was just out 2 weekends ago and stuck a maple in a walnut that I posted on here complaining about in my TSI efforts.

If you boys from up Nort have taught me anything - it's that I am NOT moving further north!

I'm finding all work is not possible from Jan1- March
Yep :p! Basically the only thing that keeps me out is when it is just too "cold" - I say "cold" because my cold and your cold are different. My too cold is 25 or less - yep I'm a pansy! The other thing that slows me down is when it is warm enough that it rains or what snow we do get melts and things get sloppy. I am out almost every weekend doing something - typically nothing major just normally running the saw to some extent. The other thing that keeps me out is a wife and 4 kids - but I think everybody battles that to some extent or another. I was just out 2 weekends ago and stuck a maple in a walnut that I posted on here complaining about in my TSI efforts.

If you boys from up Nort have taught me anything - it's that I am NOT moving further north!

Puuuuu sayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. ;)

At least I admit it.

I would go nuts being stuck in the house for that long!

I'll try to take more pics and post them just to rub it in a little bit then!

Now when you will get even is going to be in July and Aug - Nothing to do then, but float in the pool and see how many beer bottles I have floating before the wife yells at me.....again! I don't think she trusts me! It has almost become a game. She will tell me to mow the grass, but it's dead by then - except the buckhorns. I just threaten to spray it with gly or burn it - and she knows I will. I get out of the pool and move to the swing on the porch and a new game starts. How many beers can I stack up before getting yelled at ................again. "You going to do something today..... and drink beer doesn't count.", I'll hear from the house. "Ok, Ok" I tell her. Then half way back across the yard to the pool I'll get, "you better not be getting back in the water!" "I'm not......." I yell back at the house. Splash!!!!!!! Round #2. Not much habitat work getting done then.

At least I admit it.

I would go nuts being stuck in the house for that long!

I'll try to take more pics and post them just to rub it in a little bit then!

Now when you will get even is going to be in July and Aug - Nothing to do then, but float in the pool and see how many beer bottles I have floating before the wife yells at me.....again! I don't think she trusts me! It has almost become a game. She will tell me to mow the grass, but it's dead by then - except the buckhorns. I just threaten to spray it with gly or burn it - and she knows I will. I get out of the pool and move to the swing on the porch and a new game starts. How many beers can I stack up before getting yelled at ................again. "You going to do something today..... and drink beer doesn't count.", I'll hear from the house. "Ok, Ok" I tell her. Then half way back across the yard to the pool I'll get, "you better not be getting back in the water!" "I'm not......." I yell back at the house. Splash!!!!!!! Round #2. Not much habitat work getting done then.

We are not stuck in the house. We are just funneled to places where we plow the snow.

I have this mental image of you guys running around like mice in a maze! Gotta find the cheese! (I made a funny, get it, mice/cheese/Wisconsin, I made a funny!)

Last edited:
BJE80 - First off.....I'm telling John! You called me a name?!?!:rolleyes::D I guess technically you called me a flower - I feel pretty, oh so pretty!

Secondly - you are a sick and evil person..... I know it was you! It can't be by chance. Yesterday going home from work no snow here. Then this morning - this! What the!?! I know you got all upset about the snow discussion we had and had some over-nighted in my direction - that just isn't cool! Actually this has been a typical snow for us this year - more than likely most of it will be gone in a day or two tops. Snow like this isn't stopping anyone - not even a "flower" like me!

snow.jpg

I laughed. Poor guy. How will you survive?

Might have to invest in some of those "snowshoe" things you guys talk about if it keeps this up!