Snow shoes

B

BJE80

What snow shoes do you guys use to get around your land in the winter when the snow is too deep? Not looking to spend a ton. Not looking to go cross country. Just looking to be able to get places on my land once the snow is too deep.

36" is good for 300# but they get hard to maneuver in. 30"s would be good if you're not going over powder. With powder and 36" - at 215# I sink.

Keep in mind you might have upwards of 20# of clothes on when using them. ;)

I'm about the same size and mine are 30" and work good. I don't remember where I got them or what I paid but they are Yukon Charlie's Trail Series. More than likely got them at Fleet and under or near $100. I've had them for 6 or 7 years with no problems other than getting use to walking in them.

Mine are LL. Bean 36x10

Tubbs I've been pounding the snot out of mine for a decade and they are still in great shape. They are also very easy to get on and off.

Better to big than to small (that's what she said). I bought the last pair in Syracue last year for a spur of the moment trip. They were rated for 20 pounds less than what I weighed. I figured close enough, not so much. Breaking through a 5' snow pack was not fun, especially when it was every 20 steps or so and took me by surprise every time.

I have 2 pair of the army surplus ones. Magnesium or some type of metal in them.

We have a pair of the magnesium mil-surp ones, a pair of 25" MSR's (I forget the variant), a pair of 36x10 cabela's Alaskan (I'm pretty sure are tubbs), and a set of mini ones for kiddo. MSR's are nice when there's a good crust but not enough to run it in plain boots - they're quite underwhelming in just about everything else, even with the tails that make them 32". The 36" cabela's are good for lighter snow, but powder will still make you work hard - they're difficult to back up with, turning is easier than the mil-surp's and much harder than the MSR's. Mil-surps are actually pretty decent on lighter snow as long as it's not bottomless fluff, but backing up is potentially dangerous and turning is best handled by walking in an arc.

The rubber strap bindings are annoying on every single pair we have with them. The cotton or whatever it is bindings on the mil-surps are surprisingly easy to mount/dismount once you get them set right. If you have a bench or some hard pack to work on, it's not a big deal, but if you're trying to put them on while clinging to your trucks bumper - PITA!

Better to big than to small (that's what she said). I bought the last pair in Syracue last year for a spur of the moment trip. They were rated for 20 pounds less than what I weighed. I figured close enough, not so much. Breaking through a 5' snow pack was not fun, especially when it was every 20 steps or so and took me by surprise every time.
It also depends on what you are going to use them for. If you are spending a lot of time in the woods, you don't want long shoes. Just like anything lots to consider.

Let me know where those snowshoes are made. Probably by the J.A. Pan company. These are made in the UP by people that are employed in America. Not many things left that are still made in the USA.

http://www.iversonssnowshoes.com/index.php?act=viewDoc&docId=1

Actually the Redfeather Snowshoes that I posted a link to are made in LaCrosse, WI USA

The cabela's ones are made in Canada eh! MSR's are US.

If anyone wants the white mil-surp magnesium ones - keep an eye on Sportsman's Guide. They often have them for $40 which is way cheaper than Fleet Farm sells them for.

The cabela's ones are made in Canada eh! MSR's are US.

If anyone wants the white mil-surp magnesium ones - keep an eye on Sportsman's Guide. They often have them for $40 which is way cheaper than Fleet Farm sells them for.
Recently I got a used pair for $15 and paid the same for several pair back quite a few years.

Let me know where those snowshoes are made. Probably by the J.A. Pan company. These are made in the UP by people that are employed in America. Not many things left that are still made in the USA.

http://www.iversonssnowshoes.com/index.php?act=viewDoc&docId=1

There is a guy in our area that makes ones like that. They are beautiful! A good friend bought some and said they work well.

There is a guy in our area that makes ones like that. They are beautiful! A good friend bought some and said they work well.
Hand crafted shoes are great in the open, but suck in the woods where I mostly need them. They are very light and function able, but they can't take a beating like a pair of tubbs.

Hand crafted shoes are great in the open, but suck in the woods where I mostly need them. They are very light and function able, but they can't take a beating like a pair of tubbs.

Yeah, the friend that has them uses them more for groomed trail walking with his wife. My wife and I got tubbs last year and we are really happy with them. My thoughts were that if we are going into the woods they would be more maneuverable and handle the small brush and stuff a bit better.