Small plot planter.

Any success stories for 2015 on the walk behind planters? After 2 crappy years of me trying to broadcast, I think I'm going to buy the new Hoss walk behind seeder. I only want to afford to do about an acre and a half of corn per year and don't have the storage for a nice 2 row 3 point style. I called Hoss and they told me the new design is made for organic farmers who are trying to plant in a no till/ some trash condition. My soil tills up fairly nice so I'll just have the rocks to go around. I'll do a field test on it next year unless I change my mind by then.

On these small 1 acre or less plots, why are rows preferred so much over broadcasting? Control of depth at planting? More light to overseed w/ other crops? Just curious as I've had great luck broadcasting the past few years. Incredibly simple and inexpensive.
I prefer broadcasting. You can still create rows with a disc or tines and broadcast in to them.

One problem I think I had this year was depth control. I have stalks that are 2 feet tall and some that are 8" tall. Maybe some soils at just better then others for broadcasting. Where I am, I think I need 80 day corn which runs $170-$200 per bag plus the fertilizer. If a nice push row planter actually works for depth control and packing the soil I don't mind spending a few hours rowing it IF the final product is better for me. It's too expensive to keep screwing it up. Plus I have a few new food plot techniques I would like to experiment with in rows. Here's a pic of my efforts this year to date. It actually would have been double this if the black birds didn't pull out a lot of the sprouts and ate them. Originally, I thought they completely cleaned me out.
image.jpg

I have been thinking about using two of the Hoss seeders rigged up behind by small 23 HP tractor, but I'm worried I would be wasting my money. I look forward to seeing how it works for you.

I did about about a 1/4 acre with one this spring and wouldn't want to do much more than a half acre with one. My wheeler broke when working up the soil, so I had a few areas that didn't loosen up or had a lot of debris. The planter worked terrible in these areas and I found myself having to lift the back of the planter every couple of feet to clear buildup debris. With that said, I didn't expect much and it turned out much better than I anticipated. This is the only photo I think I have of it.

I did about about a 1/4 acre with one this spring and wouldn't want to do much more than a half acre with one. My wheeler broke when working up the soil, so I had a few areas that didn't loosen up or had a lot of debris. The planter worked terrible in these areas and I found myself having to lift the back of the planter every couple of feet to clear buildup debris. With that said, I didn't expect much and it turned out much better than I anticipated. This is the only photo I think I have of it.
Which planter did you use? The new hoss, older style hoss seeder, earthway, other? Nice corn small chunk!

This was an earthway