All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slow Day... The Best Big Buck State

Scenario #1- Weekend warrior shoots three bucks with his inadequate slug gun during the season. First two are wounded and not recovered, one later dies. Third one is recovered and tag is punched. End result is 2 dead bucks and 1 wounded buck.

Scenario #2- Same weekend warrior shoots one buck with his new "cheap" yet accurate rifle. He recovers buck and tag is punched. End result is 1 dead buck.

I'd take scenario #2 all day. Allowing rifles is humane and will not have a negative effect, quite possibly it will have a positive effect of fewer wounded and fewer killed but never recovered deer.

Scenario #3, guy takes out his new 800yd .308 topped with a Tasco scope and sprays bullets at every deer within sight. See Scenario #1 for results...

Scenario #3, guy takes out his new 800yd .308 topped with a Tasco scope and sprays bullets at every deer within sight. See Scenario #1 for results...
Lol. Extremely unlikely. I'm beginning to wonder if the anti rifle guys are the same guys stockpiling MRE's and water filtration devices preparing for the zombie apocalypse.

I haven't looked at this thread in a while. Interesting turn and man am I glad I live and hunt in the south!

First to the OP's original question I repeat my first and correct answer...TEXAS! And if you aren't sure just add the whole dialogue about shotgun vs rifle and season length to your assessment. Everybody in Texas hunts with a rifle...same in La. Nobody gets shot.OK maybe its because the properties are larger.Maybe its because Texas is on the leading edge of deer management. Yep. Another reason Texas is better.

Nobody gets shot in La. Season goes from first day of Oct. till mid January

We kill 20-30 deer a year. Nobody ever shoots over 150 yards. rarely wound a deer. Haven't seen a deer shot with a shotgun since I was a kid 50 years ago. Give me a .270 with 130 gr nosler partition bullets and a Zeiss scope and I am a deadly dude...though I haven't shot a deer at much over 100 yds in a long time.

Ok it’s slow, which state is the Best Big Buck State and Why??

Ok, back to the original post, following Baker here. IL has 2 nontyps that net over 300" and 2 typs that net over 200", along with a few more that gross in that 210-220" range that net high 190's. Does TX have any of those? So it's true, TX might be the best big buck state... but for giant world record size bucks, pretty tough to beat the midwestern states of IL, IA, WI, MN, IN, OH, KS, MO and KY!! Piece together a few of those farm country states to equal the size of Texaco and it might get a little embarrassing. Could you imagine if the King Ranch was shotgun only?

Las Raices Ranch has taken 2 native home grown bucks over 300" . Bunches of 200" + bucks are taken every year in Texas though granted a net 200" buck is super rare.Perhaps the comparative might include the quality of the hunt with the abundance of wildlife seen, quantity of bucks seen on every hunt and the very realistic opportunity at a top end trophy. Lets also include length of season, weather conditions and hunting pressure.

Now a reasonable retort can be that hunting Texas to have a quality experience generally requires buying a hunt on a large well managed ranch...of which there are many. Or leasing and managing a ranch yourself. Nonetheless the opportunities are countless to be on a ranch of thousands of acres.And you don't have to freeze to death covered in snow to enjoy.

I hunted the King Ranch for 10 years. Candidly most of the bucks on the ranch could be killed with a hammer. Having essentially never been hunted their behavior was super mellow. Want to see 30-40 bucks a day? Get a white truck with a clip board on the dash that looks like it works for Exxon and drive any pasture on the 250,000 acre Norias division and it will be an experience you will never forget. Plus you gonna see bazillion of turkeys, nilgai, hogs, javelinas, quail, doves, endless variety of exotic birds, eagles, ...and nary another soul nor gunshot.

Just sayin

Ok, back to the original post, following Baker here. IL has 2 nontyps that net over 300" and 2 typs that net over 200", along with a few more that gross in that 210-220" range that net high 190's. Does TX have any of those? So it's true, TX might be the best big buck state... but for giant world record size bucks, pretty tough to beat the midwestern states of IL, IA, WI, MN, IN, OH, KS, MO and KY!! Piece together a few of those farm country states to equal the size of Texaco and it might get a little embarrassing. Could you imagine if the King Ranch was shotgun only?

could you imagine if the king ranch was shotgun only, one buck limit, and two week season?

could you imagine if the king ranch was shotgun only, one buck limit, and two week season?
Better yet a one day recurve only season with APR's of 6 points on one side to be legal.

Alright guys, either get along or we're gonna make you hug it out.

Alright guys, either get along or we're gonna make you hug it out.
Nothing wrong with a little bantering back and forth from time to time, but man hugs? not so sure about that.

Anyone else get the impression that Baker doesn't like to be cold? :)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'd hug Baker all day and twice on Sundays if he'd take me south of the Border!

Yea. IL is going down the crapper pretty quickly, even the deer hunting!

Nothing wrong with a little bantering back and forth from time to time, but man hugs? not so sure about that.

Sounds like Roymunson needs a safe place thread started ...

safe place.png

Do we have one of those?

I'm enjoying the banter as much as the next guy. It's just becoming circular.

Plus, I havent been to the woods in almost 2 weeks and haven't found a shed this year. Cut me some slack,.

I saw that a week or 2 ago. What a shame.