Skid loader options

4wanderingeyes

5 year old buck +
How many of you use a skid loader, and how helpful have they been for food plotting, and deer management?

I am going to start building a garage next spring on my hunting land, and I thought a skid loader would really help with leveling, lifting tresses, and other random things. I was just wondering how beneficial they are to land management? Uses I was thinking of were digging a small pond, a couple feet deep, and about 20x20 foot. Removing some old stumps, and leveling out a few spots in my food plots. I realize it isnt ideal for these uses, but would work.

Also, I know little about skid loaders, I would like a good one, that will hold its retail value, because if I find out I dont have long term uses for one, I would like to sell it after I am done with my uses for it, and recoop most of my money. I am looking for recommendations on models, sizes, age, hours to focus on. I was thinking of ones in the 10k range, but that is somewhat flexible. I am assuming I want a diesel, other then that, I dont know anything about them.

I absolutely love using skid steers for habitat work... they are great for everything you mentioned. In my opinion they are much more useful than a tractor, but a lot more expensive too. You might try renting one for a weekend if you're unsure about them. Hands on experience can be a valuable thing before a major purchase.

I would do some Craigslist searches to get a decent resale value in your area, and pay attention to brands while doing it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

There are two attachments that would love to have but don't yet; a brushhog and a grapple. Those two, a bucket, and a set of tree clippers can have you set for just about anything you can think of.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I have rented them in the past, and I have ran them in the past, so I do know it will work, and be a very useful tool. I just don't know what size, or model, or hours to look for. I would prefer to keep it under $10,000, but if $15,000 gets me into something that would be much better, then I would be open to it. I look at Craigslist and see Bobcats that look decent for $5000, and also see Many Case models for $30,000, with everything in between. I don't know which ones to stay away from, or ones to look for. Or the value of any of them. So I could be looking at one worth $5000, that is priced at $10,000 and think it's a good deal. Or I find one for $15,000 and it's worth $25,000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are seeing decent ones at $5,000, I think you are probably looking at a scam listing. For some reason, I see a lot of clear scams on track/skid loaders on craigslist. Weird words and numbers in the title, etc. Unless it is really old with 3000+ hours, I can't imagine seeing one at $5K. Not around here anyway. Example of a scam - https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/hvo/d/powerful-track2011-bobcat/6289504133.html

I love our t300 it is like a small dozer. we clear plots, level, haul dirt, put out hay for cattle, move materials. It is also I track machine, and you won't find one in good shape under 25k.
I have limited experience with tire machines but they do not compare to the track machines in production.
I would also disagree that they are more useful than a tractor as long as it has a loader and is fwd.

OK< my 2 cents
a tractor with a Front end loader is a better idea/tool for food plotters
get one with a quick attach bucket set up and almost all things you can add to a skid steer, you can add to the tractor then!
your going to want a 50 hp tractor, and unless your in muddy steep hills, you DON"T need a 4x4 tractor which will save you some penny's
I have a a skid steer, and have run all sorts of equipment over the yrs

some food for thought
a skid steer when working alone, can be a royal pain in the butt if you FOLLOW Safety rules, which I HIGHLY recommend you do
you cannot just GET out of the machine to hook things to your bucket once bucket is off the ground , its a CRUSH zone
wheeled one's are not really made for anything but level ground or mostly level (short wheel base higher center of gravity)
you need tracks on anything that isn;t hard packed dirt or likes, get into mud, or very soft dirt, or hard packed snow, and they suck!
as for BUYING one, my advice if you do this, is look at models with wider wheel bases and LONGER wheel bases, there more stable
unless you like fixing things or have ability to do so, stick to machine's with under 2,000 hours and expect many to be lying about hours on them , so look at things closely, look for welds on booms, how tight or loose pin's are, look to see if they look like they get greased OFTEN, excessive grease is way better sign than NO grease at fittings!
fresh painted machines? look nice, but why are they painted? low hours well cared for shouldn;t need new paint

next for examples of a tractor vs skid steer for you to think about
a tractor with FEL , you can load things like a skid steer(specs of each being the same lifting that is>?)
the tractor will allow you to lift things farther out in front of you than the skid steer can
you can lift things and still get OUT/off tractor(still don't get under things lifted) but you can do more things with this set up than being stuck in the cab of a skid steer
my experience is, most full sized tractor with FEL< are more stable, when terrain gets uneven and sloped some!
they also seem to go thru mud way better and pull way better
a skid steer is designed to have less down force at the wheels, so you get less traction!

skid steers win the war on working in tight spots, they spin in there own path more or less
there a tool like any, for the right type of work there GREAT, they will move more material faster than a tractor will
BUT this ain't a race, your a food plotter? moving material won't be at the top of your to do list!

a decent tractor with a front end loader would be a better investment for you!
OH and tracked skid steers are way more stable and better traction, but there track systems are way more wear and tear and more costly top keep and maintain over wheeled loaders!

Reactions: ATP
I would buy a tractor and only rent a tracked skid loader for a week or weekend when you absolutely need one. Skid loaders are a lot of money for how much you would really use it